MSR Denali snowshoes

12:14 a.m. on March 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Andy D.

I was reading some posts about the MSR snowshoes. I also broke the toe plates on mine. I took them to REI and they gave me a new pair. The new toe plates do have a "rib" in them which is probably designed to make them stronger. I agree with taking extra pins etc. as I have broken the pin holding the binding on. I agree with them being a bit suspect as far as durability but you can't beat the traction. Heck, if they give me a new pair every time I break them, how can I complain.

12:37 p.m. on March 14, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

The best warranty is one you never have to use.

This is the difference between a Honda with a three year warranty and a Hyundai with a ten year warranty.

12:04 a.m. on March 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Andy D.
Two pair?

I have to agree with that. I just love the traction they provide! Although in deep snow I would probably rethink my choice. Maybe two pairs? I'm interested to see if these hold up better.

7:47 p.m. on March 15, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

You might complain if they broke and left you stranded with not enough time to post hole through miles of waist deep snow back to your car before a storm or darkness. I guess the warranty wouldn't be much good then. I prefer a little extra weight and durability to ELS (expensive lightweight s##t).

12:13 a.m. on March 16, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Andy D.

Actually mine broke twice when I was 4-5 miles back.(hmmm... and I still say good things about them?) I was able to get back without much heartache. Of course I did have a few choice words to say about them at that time.

3:27 p.m. on March 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Two pair?

Are you folks using plastic boots? I have read in other posts that most people breaking the MSR's are using winter mountaineering boots. I am really tempted to buy a pair, and since I still use old-fashioned leather boots in the winter, I figure I might get away without breaking them. Advice, please?

10:46 a.m. on March 26, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

MSR issued a huge recall of their snowshoes (NT)

MSR issued a huge recall of their snowshoes (NT)

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply