Arcteryx vs. Gregory

9:06 p.m. on March 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Mike D., Mike Davis

I've finally had to retire my Eureka Eiger pack. Although I was happy with this small midsized pack (3200), it had a few shortcomings that were annoying. The most annoying was that all the straps would loosen while on the trail. I kept having to retighten everything constantly about every half mile.

I've been looking into a replacement pack and have narrowed it down to two. The Acteryx Khamsin 52 or the Gregory Gravity. Both of these packs cost about 4 times what I paid for the Eureka pack. Are these packs worth the extra bucks? The Khamsin 52 is really sexy looking, but it doesn't seem to have a daisy chain, so how do you hang your snow shoes on it? Which of these packs has the best suspension system? Is there anything annoying about these packs? What other packs do you think are worth consideration?

Basically I'm looking for a comfortable pack that I can go out for a few days (ultra light) in the ADK High Peaks, but still be small enough to crawl under blowdown and bag peaks with decent agility. Any suggestions?

9:58 a.m. on March 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Arc'Teryx and Gregory are both high-quality manufacturers, though I think Arc'Teryx is a notch higher. Another pack you should consider is the Osprey Impala--really good suspension on these packs.

BTW--you may want to check out northernmountain.com for the Gravity. They have the Gravity X (3850 CI) on sale for $125.

12:46 p.m. on March 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I looked at both Arc Teryx and Gregory packs and decided on the Arc Teryx Bora 65. It felt better than the Gregory packs I tried, and it seemed to have a better suspension system than the Gregory packs. I felt the construction was stronger as well.

Quote:

I've finally had to retire my Eureka Eiger pack. Although I was happy with this small midsized pack (3200), it had a few shortcomings that were annoying. The most annoying was that all the straps would loosen while on the trail. I kept having to retighten everything constantly about every half mile.

I've been looking into a replacement pack and have narrowed it down to two. The Acteryx Khamsin 52 or the Gregory Gravity. Both of these packs cost about 4 times what I paid for the Eureka pack. Are these packs worth the extra bucks? The Khamsin 52 is really sexy looking, but it doesn't seem to have a daisy chain, so how do you hang your snow shoes on it? Which of these packs has the best suspension system? Is there anything annoying about these packs? What other packs do you think are worth consideration?

Basically I'm looking for a comfortable pack that I can go out for a few days (ultra light) in the ADK High Peaks, but still be small enough to crawl under blowdown and bag peaks with decent agility. Any suggestions?

7:27 p.m. on March 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Mountainsmith

The Mountainlight series weighs an average of 3 pounds empty, in about a 3500/4000 CI capacity. Twin stays, full suspension that is more adjustable than anything Gregory, Arcteryx or most others have. The Ospreys are good too, but the Mountainlights are lighter. I was going to tell you to go to Mountainsmith.com but it looks like they are overhauling their site...

5:08 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Mountainsmith

I have a Mountainsmith Antero that I like a lot. Like the Gregory Gravity, it's not exactly a superlight pack, but really one that's well adapted to carrying large, awkward loads like skis, axes, ropes, and it has a good internal access zipper, too. A very strong suspension, very comfortable and stable. They've redesigned it since mine was made, but I think they're still producing them. It's a very good technical day pack, and good for summer one to two night trips.

PamolaPat

11:33 a.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Now that you have narrowed down your list of brands that you are interested in the most important thing you can do is go to a gear shop and have someone knowledeable fit both packs to you and see which fits you better. Each pack will fit each person different. So see which of the two works best for you. One poster said that Arcteryx is a step above Gregory. When I went through the process of buying a new pack I found the opposite to be true. In fact to me the Arcteryx didn't hold a candle to the Gregory that I eventually bought. But that's just me. You could feel totally different when you try them on. Either way they're both good packs.

3:43 p.m. on April 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I would go with Arcteryx or another pack besides Gregory. I have a Gregory Reality and if you put any type of weight in it, the pack collapses placing all the pressure on your lower back. I have heard good things about Arcteryx and Ausprey(sp?).

3:24 p.m. on April 5, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

How much?

I'm just curious to know how much weight causes the pack to collapse like that. If it's less than 35-40lbs I would definitely return it. That would make for some miserable hiking.

4:19 p.m. on April 22, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Good choice

Arc'teryx rocks.

Great gear, bomber construction, and it works.

10:15 a.m. on May 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: How much?

It collapses at probably about 35-45lbs. I have had it for a few years so I am not sure if they would take it back or not...
Do you know?
Thanks!

Quote:

I'm just curious to know how much weight causes the pack to collapse like that. If it's less than 35-40lbs I would definitely return it. That would make for some miserable hiking.

10:16 a.m. on May 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: How much?

It collapses at probably about 35-45lbs. I have had it for a few years so I am not sure if they would take it back or not...
Do you know?
Thanks!

Quote:

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply