tarps/tents

8:41 p.m. on March 31, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hello, I'm looking for a lightweight shelter for one person, that would be durable in high winds and rain. I'm considering the Black Diamond Betamid and Integral Designs Sil-Shelter tarps that go up with a trekking pole, as well as the MSR MicroZoid, Sierra Designs Light Year CD and the Marmot Home Alone tents. Does anybody have experience with these? I really like the idea of the light weight and flexibility of the tarps, but am concerned about the ability to handle tough weather. Thanks!

12:03 p.m. on April 1, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have used the Quest equivalent to the Megamid for 2 years back in the mid 90's and before that have used tarps as shelters a few times, both with a bivy sack andd without.
It is not the bad weather I am concerned about with either a tarp or a pyramid shelter, but it is the good weather and the resulting black flies and mosquito's as well as no-see-ums.

With the new generation of ultralight 1P shelters, I think most bases are covered. Mind you, a tarp is still wonderful in the late summer and fall after most annoying insects have run their course, but for earlier, I wold stickto one of the tents you mentioned (or even the Kelty Clark - On sale at REI-outlet now!!)

Quote:

Hello, I'm looking for a lightweight shelter for one person, that would be durable in high winds and rain. I'm considering the Black Diamond Betamid and Integral Designs Sil-Shelter tarps that go up with a trekking pole, as well as the MSR MicroZoid, Sierra Designs Light Year CD and the Marmot Home Alone tents. Does anybody have experience with these? I really like the idea of the light weight and flexibility of the tarps, but am concerned about the ability to handle tough weather. Thanks!

3:49 p.m. on April 1, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have used a Black Diamond Megamid for winter camping in NY Adirondack Mtns. It has been great at shedding snow and withstanding gusty winds. I look forward to having it available as a spare shelter for canoe camping, however, there are drawbacks.
Bugs, as previously stated.
Space, although Megamid is stated to sleep four one would be hard pressed to do so. My 6'6" nephew and I (6'4") fit with our gear and could probably fit a cozy third, but someone would have to cope with the center support pole. I can't imagine fitting multiple people and gear in a Betamid.

Quote:

I have used the Quest equivalent to the Megamid for 2 years back in the mid 90's and before that have used tarps as shelters a few times, both with a bivy sack andd without.
It is not the bad weather I am concerned about with either a tarp or a pyramid shelter, but it is the good weather and the resulting black flies and mosquito's as well as no-see-ums.

With the new generation of ultralight 1P shelters, I think most bases are covered. Mind you, a tarp is still wonderful in the late summer and fall after most annoying insects have run their course, but for earlier, I wold stickto one of the tents you mentioned (or even the Kelty Clark - On sale at REI-outlet now!!)

Quote:

Quote:

7:11 a.m. on April 3, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Warren Stevens

I've used and owned the megamid, the sil shelter, Kelty's Noahs tarp and the Campmor silcoat light weight tarp:

Magamid: A bit heavy and bulky for a tarp-tent, but holds up well. I use this for the winter or two person trips. It works well with three people if you can suspend the thing and forego the pole. In winter windblown snow has a tendency to blow under the tent unless you bury the outer edges. If I was buying it now I would opt to get Integral Designs Georges Tarp for the lighter weight ( I'll sell you mine if you'd like). Condensation is a problem in this tarp-tent.

Sil shelter: Recently purchased, so I havent used it much. A good shaped tarp for one person, better than most tarps for weather worthiness, due to the shape- it can be staked pretty close to the ground. Really only a one person shelter. Very light & small.

Campmor Silcot lightweight tarp. A good basic large rectangular tarp. Used this a lot beforie it was stolen. Set up A frame style it fits two nicely is so light there's never a reason not to bring it. I may get another one, as the sil shelter was not as large as I would like. Cheap too ($50).

Kelty's Noahs Tarp 12. Huge tarp with aerodynamic design. Can be pitched creatively in dozen of ways, even as a tent. An OK tarp but I didnt use it much, preferring the megamid or the Campor tarp. A good tarp to augment a group campsite, lots of space under the thing, too much for one person.

I use these with a bivy ( Gore tex or dry loft) for maximum flexibility. In summer months I use a bug bivy to deal with the bugs. It works and it's flexible- with this combination i can as I say, sleep about anywhere not having to look around a lot to find a spot that will fit a tent.

4:55 p.m. on May 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thank you! I just bought the Sil Shelter, and it looks like a good shelter for one, or maybe two in good weather.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply