New gear on the market

3:50 a.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Joel

I've been hiking in for about 45 years, the vast majority of it in the Adirondacks in all seasons. I always figured that if someone would make a hammock that was comfortable, bug-proof, rain-tight, light, and sturdy, then life would be a lot better and all you'd ever need would be 2 trees. It appears that Mr. Hennessey, a Canadian, has revolutionized the backpacker hammock. I just bought one of his designs: 1.5 lb., comfortable, relatively flat sleeping, spacious, and ingenious. Eliminates tent and sleeping pad for a significant net reduction in pack weight. Due to the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar the prices of his various models run from $69 US to $189 US (the exchange rate is about 60 cents on the dollar) with free shipping and no tax. Check out www.hennesseyhammocks.com.
Also, saw a new product from the guy that started Dana Designs. Formed a new company called Mystery Range. The packs are worth looking at. Very interesting waist belt and harness. Looks better than my Gregorys. The most significant feature is you buy the pack itself separate from the harness so that you can switch volumes according to your hike. Anyone have one of these and have an opinion on it? Might be interesting.

9:48 a.m. on May 9, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

Hennessy's are great!
Dana's new company is Mystery Ranch. The modular system is excellant, but his newer Outomatic internals are the Best.
Try www.mysteryranch.com.
Beware the Monkeys.

Quote:

I've been hiking in for about 45 years, the vast majority of it in the Adirondacks in all seasons. I always figured that if someone would make a hammock that was comfortable, bug-proof, rain-tight, light, and sturdy, then life would be a lot better and all you'd ever need would be 2 trees. It appears that Mr. Hennessey, a Canadian, has revolutionized the backpacker hammock. I just bought one of his designs: 1.5 lb., comfortable, relatively flat sleeping, spacious, and ingenious. Eliminates tent and sleeping pad for a significant net reduction in pack weight. Due to the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar the prices of his various models run from $69 US to $189 US (the exchange rate is about 60 cents on the dollar) with free shipping and no tax. Check out www.hennesseyhammocks.com.
Also, saw a new product from the guy that started Dana Designs. Formed a new company called Mystery Range. The packs are worth looking at. Very interesting waist belt and harness. Looks better than my Gregorys. The most significant feature is you buy the pack itself separate from the harness so that you can switch volumes according to your hike. Anyone have one of these and have an opinion on it? Might be interesting.

2:54 a.m. on September 14, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I tried the Kelty Yeti with the Mystery Ranch suspension. I returned it after a few days of testing it out. It is an interesting concept, but the ergonomics of it are really bad. First of all, even when all the pack is attached to the suspension unit as tight as it can get, there is still a couple inches of empty space between your lower back and your pack because of the design of the suspension unit. As you probably know, the father the weight is from the center of gravity, the heavier it feels. If I have a heavy pack, I like it to be snug to my back, not a few inches away. Secondly, the shoulder straps cut into your pectoral muscles at a strange angle, but I guess that can be said for most straps. Speaking of straps, there are WAY too many on this pack. Plus, I doubt many people will be changing their packs often enough to make the separate suspension system worth it. An interesting idea, but it's not quite there yet.

Quote:

Hennessy's are great!
Dana's new company is Mystery Ranch. The modular system is excellant, but his newer Outomatic internals are the Best.
Try www.mysteryranch.com.
Beware the Monkeys.

Quote:

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply