Advice from Hikers PLEASE

10:49 a.m. on June 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have Karrimor KSB 300 boots which are fantastic and never leak, but I got them filled with stinking swamp mud, inside and out. How can I clean them inside without compromising the goretex lining? I am not sure if using a detergent will damage the goretex.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE

Namkha

11:20 a.m. on June 5, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I have too much experience with this......

I live in central florida and during the rainy season I get into the same situations all the time. I have the Vasque Vista GTX boots. I will turn the hose on the boots (low pressure) inside and out and get as much of the muck off as I can with just water. I will then submerge the boots into a bucket of cool water with some woolite in it and just keep dunking them until it gets as clean as I like. Hose 'em off again to rinse. I have had no problems.

12:37 p.m. on June 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve

I just use soap and water and a scrub brush on the outside of mine. For the insides, just soap, no scrub brush. While this may not be the ideal way to clean goretex, I've had no troubles. Breatheability of the goretex may be affected but I've never noticed.

There are special cleaners for goretex if you're concerned.

Quote:

I have Karrimor KSB 300 boots which are fantastic and never leak, but I got them filled with stinking swamp mud, inside and out. How can I clean them inside without compromising the goretex lining? I am not sure if using a detergent will damage the goretex.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE

Namkha

12:20 p.m. on June 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hey

You may also try to emerse them in a bucket of water (say, three gallons) with a cup or two of white vingegar. That's really helped me in the past with similar problems.

N'E

6:41 a.m. on June 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Karl, Urban Sherpa
GTX cleaning

Get the phone number off of the Gore site. They could give best advice

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply