Trekking poles

10:39 a.m. on June 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Any comments on Komperdell hiking poles with cork handles. price at sierra is very low for hiking poles

2:15 p.m. on June 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Chris

Quote:

Any comments on Komperdell hiking poles with cork handles. price at sierra is very low for hiking poles

My Komperdell poles, purchased as Sierratradingpost.com, don't seem to lock very well. I'll be hiking along and - surprise - all of a sudden one of the pulls has suddenlty gotten shorter!

Also, last weekend, several times the sections broke apart when I was trying to pull the poles out of deep snow.

11:08 p.m. on June 10, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

Worth every penny, which is why you should bite the bullet and buy the Best: Leki's.
You get your moneys worth!

Quote:

Quote:

My Komperdell poles, purchased as Sierratradingpost.com, don't seem to lock very well. I'll be hiking along and - surprise - all of a sudden one of the pulls has suddenlty gotten shorter!

Also, last weekend, several times the sections broke apart when I was trying to pull the poles out of deep snow.

8:38 a.m. on June 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I bought some Komperdells at sierra - I could dig out the model, but they've got cork handles with a removable ball at the top with a camera mount (this was important to us). Though my husband and I hike often, we had never used poles, and after several years of hearing other hikers talk about their benefits, decided to try them.
We love them. But we have no basis for comparison. My husband has the problem with the locking mechanism coming loose and his poles suddenly getting shorter, but I do not.

I would recommend the cheap Komperdells to anyone who does not have experience with poles and who wants to try them out. Here's why. They're cheap enough that, if you don't like using poles after all, it wasn't a huge investment. They're also cheap enough that if you do like using them, you can use them for a few years until you have a really good idea of what you want in a hiking pole and then upgrade, again, without feeling like you're throwing a lot of money away.

10:36 a.m. on June 11, 2002 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
5 forum posts
Care may be the issue

I've had my Komperdells for about a 1.5 years, constant usage, and never had a problem with them slipping. But them I store them un-locked; might have something to do with it.

Unless Leki makes a more comfortable strap and handle, I'd buy Komperdells again.

Steve

Quote:

Worth every penny, which is why you should bite the bullet and buy the Best: Leki's.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

12:53 p.m. on June 11, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have had problems with snow baskets regularly coming off of Komperdell poles. Already lost 2 pairs. If you plan to use them in snow I'd say look somewhere else.

5:20 p.m. on June 11, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts
Re: Care may be the issue

Hello Steve
Yeah, Leki has their new Air-Ergo grip and has added a wicking material to the inside of the straps.
Much lighter too!

Quote:

I've had my Komperdells for about a 1.5 years, constant usage, and never had a problem with them slipping. But them I store them un-locked; might have something to do with it.

Unless Leki makes a more comfortable strap and handle, I'd buy Komperdells again.

Steve

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2:49 p.m. on June 20, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

That's what we've been using for 4 years. Have worn/damaged both sets beyond use. Sent them off to Komperdell in Austria. They returned new sets...no price, except for the postage there.

Straight handle, cork, no shock has worked for us. Our criteria were: lightest weight, smallest collapsed, cheapest.

Some slipping (getting shorter) but fixed by cleaning. All poles should be maintained - especially if used hard.

We lost a snow basket including the attachment point to the poll when we were really abusing them in hard ice.

We'll stick with Komperdell, but then everybody likes what they get, I suspect.

9:54 a.m. on July 18, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have recently had a problem with some corrosion on my Leki's and have heard other complain about the twist lock coming lose while using them. I have heard great things about Black Diamond Flick Lock poles and am thinking of going to them myself.
Good luck,
Vivey

11:38 p.m. on July 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

have you used poles before?

If not I'd recommend a walking stick. Find one about shoulder height or a little less. Uphill, downhill, sidehills, fording streams, bad knees, hanging my hat, getting up after resting a little too long - my stick seems to be handy for all sorts of things, and it leaves one hand free to slap at mosquitos. Try a walking stick. If you dont like it you can carve it into chess pieces, or kindling if you have my talent for carving. If you feel like you need more than the stick, get a pair of poles.

12:26 p.m. on July 23, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have both Leki's and Komperdell's. Get Leki's-no question. The Komperdell's clang much more than the Leki's. Also, the Leki's seem bit stiffer and the webbing at the grips are a little wider. But if I were buying again I would look carefully at Tracks poles, because of the push button locking. That seems easier and more secure than the twist type of the Leki's or Komperdells.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply