Kelty Satori 4500 Pack

2:48 p.m. on June 25, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. sal giordano

I'm contemplating a new and lighter-weight pack to replace my 8 year old LoweAlpine Contour IV, which I haven't weighed, but must certainly weigh 6 or more pounds. I found a pack by Kelty called the Satori. It's got a capacity of 4500 cubic inches and the kelty spec page says it weighs 2 pounds, 2 ounces, which seem rather lightweight considering it is designed like a traditional back (hip belt, suspension system, sternum strap, etc.). It has removable side pockets and a removable front pocket. It apparently was also the recipient of Outside Magazine's Gear of the Year Award for 2002. Does anyone have any experience with this pack or know someone who has anything good (or bad) to say about it? Any comments appreciated.
Thanks!

9:18 a.m. on June 26, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

".... I found a pack by Kelty called the Satori. It's got a capacity of 4500 cubic inches and the kelty spec page says it weighs 2 pounds, 2 ounces, which seem rather lightweight considering it is designed like a traditional back (hip belt, suspension system, sternum strap, etc.). It has removable side pockets and a removable front pocket...."

Check those numbers very carefully. I think that the 2 lbs. 2 oz. number applies to just the packbag, stripped of pockets and suspension system. The entire pack, with pockets and suspension system, weighs 5 lbs. 2 oz.

2:26 p.m. on July 8, 2002 (EDT)

The Satori is a modular pack. It has a base weight that includes just the pack, but it comes with other pieces that may be added for additional weight and support. I think the base weight is 2.b 2oz and that with everything attached it weighs 5.b 2oz. I've seen it in action and it seems like a nice pack. I believe that it is basically an upgraded Kelty Flight (?).

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply