Eureka Zeus2 EXO

4:52 a.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott K

Finally, a sub $200 tent($140), that acts like a 300 dollar tent and is comparitively lighter then most of those. Sure it may have a single wall construction, but it doesn't perform like one. I hiked the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail and it performed flawlessly. I will be giving eureka a much harder look in the future while considering other products. The ease of set up and performance ranks well above my expectations. Oh, if you need some background on me to believe this review here it goes. I worked several years in outdoor recreation stores, was a ski shop manager, and a Yosemite Backcountry Ranger for a winter (nordic patrol). Now, believe it or not, I am a baker.

10:58 a.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Thanks for the report! I'm still debating to get one of these or not.......

did you have to do any seam sealing prior to use or is it pretty much ready to go right out of the box? Does it come with steel or aluminum stakes?

12:18 p.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Eureka Zeus I & II

Quote:

did you have to do any seam sealing prior to use or is it pretty much ready to go right out of the box? Does it come with steel or aluminum stakes?

The Zeus II comes with 8 aluminum stakes and a decent size container of seam sealer. But it is factory sealed. I haven't needed to seam seal it yet, but I haven't been in any realy heavy rain with mine yet. The joys of camping in Southern California. (I've heard they do pretty well in rain thou)

From everything I've read, most owners love them. (myself included) I've yet to read one solidly bad review. As good tents go, the poundage is low, the price is pretty cheap. And if it turns out that your one of the few that doesn't like it you can always exchange it for a half-dome or something and just deal with the extra weight.

It's not hands-down the best tent out there, but (in my opinion) the Zeus II makes a good run for it in the single-wall catagory. For the weight and performance I think its only really beaten by the Wanderlust Nomad 2-4-2. But if you can't wait for, can't afford, or just don't like Kurt's Nomad tents the Zeus II makes a good alterntive. (just don't cover up the roof vent)

For my money the Zeus II is a great tent. If I had had more time and money and didn't mind the little loss in privacy, I'd have gotten a Nomad 2-4-2.

12:24 p.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Finally, a sub $200 tent($140), that acts like a 300 dollar tent and is comparitively lighter then most of those. Sure it may have a single wall construction, but it doesn't perform like one. I hiked the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail and it performed flawlessly. I will be giving eureka a much harder look in the future while considering other products. The ease of set up and performance ranks well above my expectations. Oh, if you need some background on me to believe this review here it goes. I worked several years in outdoor recreation stores, was a ski shop manager, and a Yosemite Backcountry Ranger for a winter (nordic patrol). Now, believe it or not, I am a baker.

Did you get any rain? Tahoe and environs can be a dry heat this time of year. Any condensation? Did you use it as a one person or a two person? The vestibule is considered small by some. Was it small for you? I'm in the Pacific Northwest and thought I might use the Zeus 2 as a solo for hikes with Boy Scouts. That way I can bring my backpack in with me. Thanks for the info.

9:33 p.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott K

I had one heavy downpour without a leak, have not used the seam sealer as it is factory sealed and seems to hold up. Also on a few of the nights it was pretty warm for sierra standards, i had very little condensation inside tent, really no more than i have had with other double wall tents. I am 6'2" 220 lbs. I was very comfortable in it alone for 6 nights. My girlfriend who hiked with me for 5 days (5'2" 115 lbs.) shared the tent with me on those nights and we really werent cramped, but we are intimate so that may matter a little. The vesti is small but I never feel a need to bring in my pack as it is weather proofed outside.. i.e. plastic cover of some sort. I would say you must pay attention to how the tent is vented and make sure not to interrupt the flow. But if you do that, i feel you really have a superb tent for a superb price. Oh, the vesti is definitely spacious enough for a gear bag and to cook in comfortably, if need be. HAPPY HIKING

9:37 p.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott K
Nomad 2-4-2

IS the Nomad 2-4-2 free standing, the Eureka basically is in terms of main structurel. I didnt think the nomad was, let me know.

10:54 p.m. on August 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Nomad 2-4-2

Quote:

IS the Nomad 2-4-2 free standing, the Eureka basically is in terms of main structurel. I didnt think the nomad was, let me know.

No, the Nomad tents are not freestanding. The Nomad Lite requires 4 stakes and the 2-4-2 requires 6. (I think) The Zeus I & II both require 4 stakes minimum, but properly use up to 8. But really when you get down to it, most folks I know like to put in a few stakes anyhow. Just in case mother nature tries to *borrow* your tent in the night..

The Nomads are a little less private due to the large windows but have a weight advantage over the already light Zeus II of almost 50%. I think the Nomad Lite is only 1 lb 14 oz. 2.3 lb maybe with poles. http://wanderlustgear.com/nmadlite.htm

The Nomad tents are also quite a bit more pricey than the Eureka Zeus I or II. $275 for the Lite and $325 for the 2-4-2. Easly worth it for one of Kurt's great tents, but my pocket-book asked me nicely to get the Zeus II rather than the 2-4-2.

5:21 a.m. on April 20, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Picked up the Zeus2 tenta few years ago out the door for $150 out the door and really cant complain too much about it. It's extremely lightweight and easy to set up. The Vestibule is plenty big to fit boots, a backpack and maybe your dog in there too.Im a big guy (6'3 about 230) and I fit good inside and had no trouble getting in or out. The tent has the attachments for a gear loft and has storage pockets also.There were a few downsides I experienced though.. While camping I received alot of condensation during a rainy spring trip to the sierras and a fall night in Joshua Tree.Although I stayed fairly dry inside.I had not rain proofed it yet either. There are no window's in the tent or vestibule which would have been nice also.But overall for what you get its a great bargain and good tent!

9:11 p.m. on May 13, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Just a warning on this tent. It's probably great for low humidity environments out west, but I have owned one for about 3 years and backpack mostly in a handful of states around Kentucky. East of the Mississippi, it's like a rainforest inside due to condensation. Used it in the New Mexico mountains and thought it was great. Used it in the Red River Gorge in Kentucky and was ready to throw it in the trash. And no, I did not have the vents blocked. It just doesn't handle condensation well. Whether you like it will depend on where you use it.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply