Camelbak Unbottle VS Platypus Hoser

4:35 a.m. on August 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Guys,
looking a getting a hyration system to be used in my daysac.
Looking at the two above as they are the ones widely available in the UK.
Does anybody have any recommendations about which is better.

Thanks
Danny

9:57 a.m. on August 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Guys,
looking a getting a hyration system to be used in my daysac.
Looking at the two above as they are the ones widely available in the UK.
Does anybody have any recommendations about which is better.

Thanks
Danny

I can't speak through experence about the Platypus. I've heard some second hand reports about the bladders starting to leak after a while and being hard to zip.

The Camelbak however I do have experence with. I've used a cloudwalker for a quite a while now. And I swear by the thing. I just can't seem to destroy it. The system isn't perfect, and I have actuially had two bladders leak on me. (one an old type, and one a first gen. omega) Both were factory defective, and each time the camelbak people cheerfully (ya, you heard me) replaced the bladders. Through an outfitter. So all I had to do is exchange the old one. It didn't cost me a dime ether time.

I also can't imagine the bite valve on any system being better than the camelbak bite valve. If you do decide to go with the Platypus, do yourself a favor and pickup a camelbak bite valve.

If you need more proof about just how well the camelbaks are constructed, watch the movie. (450k)
http://www.camelbak.com/rec/ResTest.mpg

11:04 a.m. on August 6, 2002 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I have the plattypus hoser.............

Have had it for about two years now. My hoser does not zip up. The hose/bite valve assy screws on. Mine has never leaked a drop from the bag. If you get any debris in the bite valve it will drip, but is easy to clean. I believe I paid about $16.00 USD for the Hoser 2 litre. I also carry extra plattypuss bags with me rolled up in the backpack to store fresh water after boiling and always have a full bag ready to go. You can pour boiling water into the bags with no problem. Just don't drop the thing when full of water.

I love mine and would buy another if the thing ever wore out. I still am using the original bite valve

10:17 p.m. on August 10, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I have never owned a Camelback bladder, but my Platypus(es) are virtually indestructable. The zip ones are handy and much easier to clean, but the hoses attach to any of them.

Kate

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply