Leather Mountaineering Boots

12:45 p.m. on November 29, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Mike D, Mike D.

I winter hike in the Adirondacks and the White Mountains. I've been told by a number of people that Plastic Boots are the preferred choice for winter in these areas. I currently use the La Sport Maks with a supergaitor and have good luck with this combination, however I believe that these may not be warm enough in certain situations (while resting my feet do get cold). It seems that a boot like the Arctis Expe would be plenty warm but I am concerned about the weight and walkability of Plastics. So I was leaning toward getting a warmer leather boot. La Sportiva doesn't rate their boots by temperature, and they appear to only make two cold weather boots now. The Lhotse and the Nepal Extreme (too expensive).
So I was wondering, how much warmer are boots like the Lhotse compared to the Makalu's?
Also is my concern about Plastics (weight and walkability unfounded?
Any other recommendations?

I'd go try them on and see for myself but I live in an area where nobody sells mountaineering boots, so I have to buy them online.

8:02 a.m. on November 30, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have tried a pair of used Degre and found them more walkable than I expected. I used them for a short distance only so I can't be of much help. I also tried a pair Lhotse boots in a size slightly larger than I needed to allow for socks. I found the fit of the boot very different from my Makalus. The pair I tried had a very narrow width and high arches. Not at all comfortable for me, I'd rather have the Degre. I'm inclined to go with a half size larger Makalu and add socks but the Degre is about the same price and the weight is probably close when you add the supergaiter to the Makalu. Never tried much else in that range as I have to get most everthing on line also.

12:40 p.m. on November 30, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi Mike,

I'm interested in how you put supergaiters with your LS Maks together. I use glue to hold together my plastic boots and supergaiters. Did you actually glue them together? How did glue react on leather? Very curious.

Loco

12:52 p.m. on November 30, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Mike D, Mike D.

Quote:

Hi Mike,

I'm interested in how you put supergaiters with your LS Maks together. I use glue to hold together my plastic boots and supergaiters. Did you actually glue them together? How did glue react on leather? Very curious.

Loco

12:55 p.m. on November 30, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Sorry about the other two posts. Not sure why they are there. Anway I use the X Gaitor from OR. They have eyelets that let you wire the Gaitor on the forefoot and also under the arch. They're a pain to put on so once its done, I leave it for the season. I've had very good luck with this, no pop ups.

Quote:

Hi Mike,

Loco

8:19 p.m. on January 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I bought the Degres a year ago, and I agree that they are quite heavy, and uncomfortable after a long day in the white Mountains. They chafe my legs where they hit around the top, as well as the soles of my feet. I'd love to hear ideas on leather boots that would work on all but the most extreme winter hikes in the Whites, besides Sorels, which don't offer enough support and don't work well with crampons.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply