Beaver Pocket??

3:33 p.m. on December 16, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have reciently purchased a backpack that has a Beaver pocket on the top. Can anyone tell me what this pocket is used for and why it is called by this name? We don't have beavers here in Australia.

Regards to all

Colin McFerran
Brisbane Australia

2:07 p.m. on December 17, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have reciently purchased a backpack that has a Beaver pocket on the top. Can anyone tell me what this pocket is used for and why it is called by this name? We don't have beavers here in Australia.

I presume you mean the flap on the back of the pack. Dana Designs has them on quite a few of their packs and calls them Beaver Tail Shovit pockets because they are wide and flat like a beaver tail. (Maybe in your part of the world they should call them platypus pockets). Other pack makers have caught on to this trend.

Anyway, this flap attaches to the pack body at the bottom and with straps at its top and allows you to attach things to the pack that you might not want to put inside the pack, like wet coats or tent flys, etc, which is what I use mine for. They're also great for attaching a small snow shovel to your pack, which is what backcountry skiers use them for. I heard about one guy who even put his dog in there when the dog got injured and had to be carried out.

All said, they're very useful.

7:14 p.m. on December 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

I presume you mean the flap on the back of the pack. Dana Designs has them on quite a few of their packs and calls them Beaver Tail Shovit pockets because they are wide and flat like a beaver tail. (Maybe in your part of the world they should call them platypus pockets). Other pack makers have caught on to this trend.

Anyway, this flap attaches to the pack body at the bottom and with straps at its top and allows you to attach things to the pack that you might not want to put inside the pack, like wet coats or tent flys, etc, which is what I use mine for. They're also great for attaching a small snow shovel to your pack, which is what backcountry skiers use them for. I heard about one guy who even put his dog in there when the dog got injured and had to be carried out.

All said, they're very useful.

Mine has a pocket on the top, not a flap. It has a key loop
and enough room for snacks, firstaid kit, extra straps etc. I've never heard it called a Beaver pocket though.

Most of the packs I see hear (Canada) have these pockets. Some are designed to be detached and used as a fanny pack.

8:32 a.m. on December 21, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

What a beaver pocket is:
A beaver has a wide, flat, med-length tail.

beaver-tail syle pockets are the same
usually thin and flat, attached via straps to compress against the outside of the pack to hold items in place.

The Arc'teryx Nozone (A pack I use) has one.
Very handy as the crampon patch (call it what you want) has daisy chains, elastic webbing and Hypalon on it, to secure crampons.
Can stuff a shell jacket behind it against the pack for quick access, or to secure long objects - log for fire?

Very handy at any rate

hope this helps

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply