soft shell feedback

10:16 p.m. on January 1, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

now i'm automatically wary of anything a salesperson tells me BUT, are soft shells really all their cracked up to be when backpacking in wet weather? does anyone have any personal feedback? i'm looking for pants that would be mainly used for backpacking in really wet weather. i understand that soft shells are extremely water resistant (looking for actual feedback on effectiveness here) and much more breathable than standard gore-tex (again, any experiences would be welcome in this regard too). i personally don't want to sacrifice waterproofness for only a marginal improvement in breathability but if the pants are water resistant enough and the breathability is exceptional...

thanks muchly

11:59 a.m. on January 2, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

i think they're worth it if you get them discounted. I own an arc teryx gamma sv jacket (malden powershield) and moonstone contortion pants (schoeller dryskin). I don't wear the jacket as much as the pants, as the jacket is pretty heavy (23.1 oz for my med). The pants (11.8oz) I wear for almost everything and really never bring wp pants anymore. they both shed an unbelievable amount of water and they never seem to feel wet against the skin.
Make sure you check out MEC www.mec.ca as they have house brand stuff made from the same materials at incredible prices. the quality of their construction is amazing, much better than rei and on par with some major manufacturers.

12:56 p.m. on January 3, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Dean, rainy, Utah CragHopper

>> now i'm automatically wary of anything a salesperson tells me BUT, are soft shells really all their cracked up to be when backpacking in wet weather?

I've never had anyone try to tell me to use them in wet weather. They would suck for that. In cold, dry, or snowy environments there's nothing better.

In light or intermittant rain they work quite well if you are doing something aerobic enough for your body heat to dry the soft shell from the inside out. In heavy or extended rain they will completely wet out, although the outer fabric layer doesn't really absorb much water.

>>i'm looking for pants that would be mainly used for backpacking in really wet weather.

Not appropriate for this. One compromise, is to use a soft shell and bring along a very light hard shell, Marmot Precip or MH Grade 6, or even just polyeurethane coated nylon. In the softshell you get clothing with a much wider useful range of temperatures and conditions. And the hard shells you would use would be the lightest, most compressible thing you can find because you typicaly don't wear the stuff much anyway.

I've been using soft shells from Arc'Teryx, Cloudveil, and MEC plus a MH Grade 5 jacket and pant that usually stay in my pack.

1:55 a.m. on January 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Got my gamma SV jacket - and I'm very, very pleased with it.
Great cut, durable piece (unlike regular fleece) and is versatile.

On sale, can't go wrong!

9:54 a.m. on January 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Got my gamma SV jacket - and I'm very, very pleased with it.
Great cut, durable piece (unlike regular fleece) and is versatile.

I have a Gamm SV, too. I don't find it very usable
except in very cold temperatures. The Powershield fabric
is much thicker than Schoeller Dryskin and Dryskin Extreme.
The Gamma SV is more like a cross between an insulative
piece and a soft shell. It's too warm for doing anything aerobic during the day, even in the dead of winter.

The fit great and I like it to use it during winter at
night.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply