internal vs. external frames can someone help me?

9:16 a.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. PC

I need a new pack. I am finding great deals on external frames. what are the pros & cons of internal vs. external. any info will be greatly appreciated.

12:30 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

If you go to REI.com and click on share and learn there is a credible discussion on packs and types. I use an external frame with mesh. I hate to have a soaking wet back that comes with internals. DZ

2:15 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts
Re: internal vs. external

The discussion that desertzephyr refers to is useful. What it boils down to is this:

External - advantages - cost, weight for capacity, comfort on maintained trails (especially at higher load weights), cooler back (less sweat), ability to carry awkwardly shaped rigid objects, access to stuff (pockets, stuff strapped on).

disadvantages - awkward if freedom of movement is needed (climbing, skiing, off-trail terrain such as 2nd and 3rd class scrambling), frame can get damaged when travelling by public transportation (especially from the airline gorillas, even inside a protective duffel).

Internal - advantages - conforms to your body, easier to move around and maneuver when scrambling, skiing, or climbing, some have conveniently placed pockets

disadvantages - heavy for capacity (my Terraplane is almost 8 pounds empty vs 3 pounds for a Kelty external of the same capacity), hard to find stuff (especially for top-loader sacks that are just a big bag), hard to carry awkward, bulky items, back gets extremely sweaty and rubs in hot weather

In other words, internals and externals are each best for particular types of travel.

2:16 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

If you go to REI.com and click on share and learn there is a credible discussion on packs and types. I use an external frame with mesh. I hate to have a soaking wet back that comes with internals. DZ

DZ thanks for the info site. PC

2:27 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Paul Crenshaw

Quote:

The discussion that desertzephyr refers to is useful. What it boils down to is this:

External - advantages - cost, weight for capacity, comfort on maintained trails (especially at higher load weights), cooler back (less sweat), ability to carry awkwardly shaped rigid objects, access to stuff (pockets, stuff strapped on).

disadvantages - awkward if freedom of movement is needed (climbing, skiing, off-trail terrain such as 2nd and 3rd class scrambling), frame can get damaged when travelling by public transportation (especially from the airline gorillas, even inside a protective duffel).

Internal - advantages - conforms to your body, easier to move around and maneuver when scrambling, skiing, or climbing, some have conveniently placed pockets

disadvantages - heavy for capacity (my Terraplane is almost 8 pounds empty vs 3 pounds for a Kelty external of the same capacity), hard to find stuff (especially for top-loader sacks that are just a big bag), hard to carry awkward, bulky items, back gets extremely sweaty and rubs in hot weather

In other words, internals and externals are each best for particular types of travel.

Bill S, that helps alot. except I am not sure which frame style is best going to suit me in the smokies.
no rock climbing but, I there will be many rocky and off camber hikes. what would you do? PC

7:52 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

Quote:

Bill S, that helps alot. except I am not sure which frame style is best going to suit me in the smokies.
no rock climbing but, I there will be many rocky and off camber hikes. what would you do? PC

I have always used one of my externals in the Smokies, especially because it always seemed to be hot and humid when I hiked there.

9:05 p.m. on January 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

The other posters have it pretty covered in the external vs. internal debate. IMO it boils down to personal preference and intended use. On this note I would suggest that, if possible, you rent an external and an internal, and do a trip with each. This would give you at least a general idea of which is better for you, even if you can't try the specific models you're considering. When buying my pack I simply knew I wanted an internal based on my experience with rentals of both types. I prefer it over the externals for all the aforementioned reasons, and becuase I get all sweaty anyway whether my back is ventilated or not.

Good luck and happy packing,

Daniel

7:17 a.m. on January 23, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Don M, Don P. Morris, hikerdon

Quote:

I need a new pack. I am finding great deals on external frames. what are the pros & cons of internal vs. external. any info will be greatly appreciated.

If I had just one frame it would be an internal. Sooner or later, planned or not, you will be hiking off trail and you will really appreciate an internal frame pack. I learned this years ago at Canyon de Chelly, hiking on "trails" there. An external frame would contact the rocks along the trail, threatening to send send you plunging to the canyon below. Not nearly the problem with an internal frame.

11:40 a.m. on February 3, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

golite gust is amazing. 20 ounces of rucksack 3500 to 4500 cubic inches i think are the measurements. its great for lighter loads, who wants to carry a lot anyway? its cheap to check golite.com for info and dealer list

2:26 p.m. on February 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Willis Weatherford iv

Quote:

Sure: Externals are bulkier, bounce around alot if the dont have good straps. The one I have now is the Kelty Yukon. I've gone on several backpacking trips and its always worked great.
Internals hug your back, and if the're cheap will make you sweat, and mabey give you a rash. Sometimes people find them not roomy enough. But they do distribute the weight nicely, don't make your shoulders tired. Overall, if price is a concern, I'd defineately get an external, mabey the Yukon or Black Bull. Hope this helps

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply