Does right-handed = left zip sleeping bag?

7:46 p.m. on January 28, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Hello,

I was wondering about if I ordered the correct side zipper side on my new bag. I'm right handed, and I bought a left zip (still in the mail). I've heard that you want the zippper on the opposite side of your dominant hand, becuase it's easier to reah across than right beside you. Is this true?

I figured it would also be easier to handle stuff while lying on my side (in my ID Salathe bivy) with my right arm free. I often sleeping on my left side too. My current bag is a righty, but I thought left would be a better choice. Did I make the right decision?

Thanks a bunch

9:41 p.m. on January 28, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Don M, Don P. Morris, hikerdon

Quote:

Hello,

I was wondering about if I ordered the correct side zipper side on my new bag. I'm right handed, and I bought a left zip (still in the mail). I've heard that you want the zippper on the opposite side of your dominant hand, becuase it's easier to reah across than right beside you. Is this true?

I figured it would also be easier to handle stuff while lying on my side (in my ID Salathe bivy) with my right arm free. I often sleeping on my left side too. My current bag is a righty, but I thought left would be a better choice. Did I make the right decision?

Thanks a bunch

You made the right decision. I have never found that zipper side vs dominant hand ever made the slightest difference.

1:13 p.m. on January 29, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Right sided bag -> right sided door

The zipper of my winter down bag is on the right side, and it works very well with my Sierra Designs Divine Light bivy tent, which has the door on the right side (no,this is not left-sided Divine Lightning). I don't want to climb over 6 inches of down loft just to get to the door, hence I'm looking for a used Zoid 1.5 and the MSR humor in my posting yesterday. Cheers, Les

9:27 p.m. on February 1, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

Quote:

Hello,

I was wondering about if I ordered the correct side zipper side on my new bag. I'm right handed, and I bought a left zip (still in the mail).

A buddy of mine - a righty bought a left handed bag and he HATES IT!!! I have both and can't tell the difference.
Jim S

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply