About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Cleaning North Face GoreTex Jacket?

10:18 a.m. on January 29, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. salvatore giordano

I've got a Gore Tex North Face Mountain Light Jacket (red). I've had it for a few years and it's starting to get a bit dirty. How does one clean one of these without doing any harm to the Gore Tex material? All thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

1:47 p.m. on January 29, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts
On the label

Cleaning directions for garments are required by law to be on the label in the garment. Oh, yours is worn out or you clipped it out to save weight? Weelllll, in that case ...

1. spend mucho dinero to get the Official Gore cleaning stuff (or Nikwax version of the same thing). It does have the advantage of also renewing the DWR.

2. quoting the label (which works just fine for me) - "machine wash warm; powdered detergent; tumble dry warm; do not bleach, dry clean, or use fabric softener; steam iron warm" The warm tumble dry and warm steam iron help renew the DWR, as does using the Gore or Nikwax DWR renewal spray according to directions on the bottle.

This latter has worked for me very well on my various Gtx jackets, bibs, bivy sacks, etc. My Marmot stuff holds its DWR very well, especially after the washing, while my TNF stuff (especially my Kichatna jacket) seems to need the DWR renewal spray about every 2nd or 3rd washing.

8:45 p.m. on January 29, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
TNF DWR

Quote:

This latter has worked for me very well on my various Gtx jackets, bibs, bivy sacks, etc. My Marmot stuff holds its DWR very well, especially after the washing, while my TNF stuff (especially my Kichatna jacket) seems to need the DWR renewal spray about every 2nd or 3rd washing.

>>> I have noticed that Marmot items have a cast iron DWR, but I wonder how often do you wash your TNF jacket? I mean I have a fifteen year old mountain light jacket (original)thats been washed about three times and recoated each time. If I only had to recoat it every fifteen years I would be very impressed. It does seem to wet out more than Marmot jackets, yet is very dry inside. It seems that some goretex items breath well even without a shiny new DWR coating?

Also - I have found that the TNF snaps outlast Marmot Velcro and do not freeze up in snow like velcro.
Jim S

11:35 a.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Marmot v. TNF Smackdown !!!

"My Marmot stuff holds its DWR very well, especially after the washing, while my TNF stuff (especially my Kichatna jacket) seems to need the DWR renewal spray about every 2nd or 3rd washing."

"I wonder how often do you wash your TNF jacket? .... Also - I have found that the TNF snaps outlast Marmot Velcro and do not freeze up in snow like velcro"

2:22 p.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts
Wash???

Quote:

>>> ...how often do you wash ...

No genyouwhine dirtbag climber ever washes any clothing, much less his/her own body. You know better than to ask that, Jim. How else can you keep the bears away.

Anyway, I wash the gear when it appears to be dirty. The DWR seems to help with keeping the dirt and body oils from sticking. But again, the TNF stuff seems to get soiled and start wetting out with a lot less wear than the Marmot stuff. And Barb has some SD gtx, which also seems to hold its DWR better than TNF. Both my Kichatna and Alpinist III have had about equal numbers of washings.

Quote:

Also - I have found that the TNF snaps outlast Marmot Velcro and do not freeze up in snow like velcro.

Ummmm, well, my Kichatna jacket has velcro in exactly the same places as my Alpinist III (front zipper overflap, pit zip overflaps, cuff closures). So I am not sure what you are talking about. I have had very little problem with velcro on jackets and bibs freezing up, although my original Atlas snowshoe bindings, which were velcro, did occasionally have problems if they got wet, then sat outside the tent overnight with the temperature dropping a lot. Even in my Tatoosh trek a couple weeks ago (started in rain, which turned to snow, and included an inordinately large number of plants - side, face, and butt - my Alpinist III velcro did not freeze up. Never had the problem with my Kichatna either. Only snaps on either one are at the bottom of the front zipper and on the powder skirt.

9:23 p.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Karl, urbansherpa
Re: You Must Wash It

If the fabric is dirty the DWR will not work, the jacket will 'wet out' quickly, and will not breathe as well as it was designed to. (That is why you payed the big bucks for Gore-Tex in the first place).

Reapply the DWR strictly according to the instructions....don't gunk it on.
I wash my Mountain Hardwear Exposure after every major trip.

*Do remember to give it an extra rinse, or two. If you don't get all the detergent out of it, then it'll wet out quickly.

Some W/B's are supposed to be air-dried....but I believe Gore-Tex is to be dried on High heat (CHECK THE TAG, or Gore website first, though) The Heat smooths out any 'cracks' in the DWR, kinda like a thin coat of melted chocolate. *Well that's the theory, anyway. ;-)

9:39 p.m. on January 30, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

I've always washed my Mtn. Light jacket with mild detergent in a regular washing maching. You can also wash it by hand. I've heard the 'red' jackets require a special wash from North Face that costs about $100.

12:02 a.m. on February 1, 2003 (EST)
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts
Didn't realize the joke was that subtle n/t

n/t

11:11 a.m. on February 3, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Must be an age thing.......

being of near geeser status myself (48), I happened to laugh out loud when I initially read it.

5:18 p.m. on February 3, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I Even Got It This Time ...

and I'm 47.

3:31 p.m. on February 16, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. trad_guy
Re: I Even Got It This Time ...

Quote:

and I'm 47.

Hey, I'm 75 and I don't get it. I can't remember what we were talking about??
--Trad_Guy

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply