Trail Fitness thoughts

8:54 a.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Having just had my 50th birthday, I find it ever increasing to keep in shape for mountain hiking. Not being a runner, the snow/ice tend to reduce my daily walking mileage and keeps me away from the hills in the state parks. I find my weight climbing and ambition falling as the winter progresses. Yes, I ski and make it to the gym some (albeit not enough), but I feel like I

9:25 a.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi, I'm 56 years young and still have the desire to continue backpacking. I still can keep up with my buddies, even the young one's. I walk 4 to 5 miles per day five days a week. I have been fighting my weight for the past 15 years. I figure I will be backpacking into my 70's if I live that long. I am even more determined to hike since a bout with cancer 8 years ago. I do find that I hike with less weight in my pack and am always looking for ways to lighten my load, both in the pack and on my body. I try to eat right and above all, keep active. Good Luck my friend!

12:47 p.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm with you Rich. I hope to backpack and hike well into my seventies too. I will be 58 in a few months and have to really discipline myself to stay in good shape. If I slack up I can really tell it even on a short day hike - huffing and puffing it up the hill (and it's hilly where I mostly hike). I try to hike often - say twice, three times a month at least, and it's great practice for upcoming mountain treks. Also eating healthy is now a priority. Vitamin supplements are important too.

1:08 p.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts
Good grief, Hikergirl!

Quote:

...I will be 58 in a few months ...

From your posts, I had visions of you being a young thing barely out of her teens! Wait a minute, that could be misinterpreted. I mean, there is this youthful,eager to learn attitude that comes across. Hmmmm, somehow, the Old Geezer is digging the hole even deeper.

Well, anyway, you are only as old as you feel. My spouse of 37 years is only 21 years old, and has been ever since we got married. And the Old GreyBearded One is only 26 (my Young Son of 23, almost 24, claims I am dysnumeric and am really 62).

1:31 p.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

Quote:

Having just had my 50th birthday,

Only 50? Man, you are just a kid!

Quote:

...I find it ever increasing to keep in shape for mountain hiking. Not being a runner, the snow/ice tend to reduce my daily walking mileage and keeps me away from the hills in the state parks.

Why? I get out to the local hills whether it is sunny (most of the time here in the SFBay Area), windy, rainy, or snowing (well, it does snow here once or twice a year on the tops of the local mountains). If you wear proper clothes and footgear, the weather should not keep you from your outdoor exercise. Alternatively, consider using your bike mounted on rollers during bad weather or joining the local Y or other gym.

Quote:

... I find my weight climbing and ambition falling as the winter progresses.

Hey, Spring is almost here! The medical types say that people tend to gain an average of 1 pound a year after age 30. I don't believe that has to be the case (I still wear the same size clothes I did in college).

Quote:

... Yes, I ski and make it to the gym some (albeit not enough), but I feel like I

3:45 p.m. on March 7, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

If it makes you feel any better I'm 32 and am just getting over being rather sore from skiing on Mt. Hood and doing a 7 mile dayhike in that area last weekend.

Quote:

Having just had my 50th birthday, I find it ever increasing to keep in shape for mountain hiking. Not being a runner, the snow/ice tend to reduce my daily walking mileage and keeps me away from the hills in the state parks. I find my weight climbing and ambition falling as the winter progresses. Yes, I ski and make it to the gym some (albeit not enough), but I feel like I

3:25 p.m. on March 9, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Good grief, Hikergirl!

Bill, Thanks for the "youthful, eager to learn attitude" comment. You're right about being as old as you feel. Really, I don't feel 57 going on 58 at all. Maybe my love for the outdoors and staying active has made the difference. To be truthful, I really feel about 40. Some of my friends seem "old" to me. By that I mean they are overweight and live sedentary lives. It's difficult to even get them motivated for a camping trip.

In summation, age is all in your mind.

6:12 a.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
But what if you loose your mind? n/m

nm

4:00 p.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: But what if you loose your mind? n/m

Just buy a Saab.

5:59 a.m. on March 14, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Yo! What the heck are you doin' here???

I don't know if these folks can handle it if you and I get going as always!

Since when did you become interested in a camping BB? Am I gonna see you on the marathon training BB too?

12:53 p.m. on March 16, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: If I Should Loose My Mind

Well Ed, I guess they'll find me hiking through the swamps sticking reflective tacks into the trees whilst drinking Tequila and stepping on alligators in the rain.

Who knows, it just might be fun.

5:47 a.m. on March 18, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: But what if you loose your mind? n/m

Ed, It was not my intention to offend you in any way with my response, so I hope I have not done so. It was all in fun.

Have a good one.

11:01 a.m. on March 18, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Huh? Deja Vu all over again!

HG, what in the world are ywe talking about? I must have missed something here - I still don't read anything that could possibly come close to offending me!

I love humour.

ed

4:23 p.m. on March 18, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Very Good, Mr. Geary!n/m

Quote:

n/m

5:03 p.m. on March 19, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Forgot to tell you.....

Your plan for "mindless" recreation.....Priceless!

Sounds like great fun (we certainly don't have to include the gators).

8:28 a.m. on March 21, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Hey, lovebirds

Trail fitness?

4:39 p.m. on March 21, 2003 (EST)
Re: Hey, lovebirds

Quote:

Trail fitness?

8:37 a.m. on March 23, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
LOL! whatsa matter? We ignoring you?.....

1st step to get trail fitness, get off your arse, away from the computer and start a program of light weight lifting for the upper body and some type of aerobic workout for 12 minutes three times a week. Do this for one month.

Next month, continue the weight lifiting and start jogging two miles, three times a week.

Contact us love birds when you get to your third month.

Trail fitness is a life long program not something that happens in a week or two. For some great training tips, check out Marathonguide.com.

8:34 a.m. on March 26, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

On-going workouts

Guess its obvious that on-going physical workouts (hiking/running) and controlling your weight are the key factors to enjoying the backcountry as one ages.. I find its easy to be lazy during the week and arse sitting for a living doesn't helpn stay in shape. Sometimes I think I'll live a longer life if I hauled concrete foundation forms all day instead of doing computer stuff.
Thanks for the candid info, Ed.

11:58 a.m. on March 26, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
Yes, you are correct Steve.........

My wife is a Wellness Director with a Masters Degree in Exercise Physiology. I am pounded with all this exercise info daily, whether I want to hear it or not!

Synopsis: "Key to good health and wellness is a lifelong commitment. One must do aerobic workouts for no less than 12 minutes a minimum of three times a week".

It doesn't have to hurt to be effective. My weight workouts consist of doing only 12 repetitions of 4 different exercises on a home weight machine, but I do this every night (butterfly's, bench press, bar pull down palms away, bar pull down's palms toward you). It only takes about 5 minutes to complete and I do it during commercials when I am watching TV in the evening.

Personnaly, I prefer to exercise strenuously and not worry about what I eat. My rule of thumb is...for every mile I run, I can drink one beer.

I'm presently training to qualify for the Boston Marathon. On Saturday nights I can drink 20 beers!

It is so much more fun to be able to go backpacking with strong legs and upper body.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply