About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Earplugs

10:53 a.m. on March 9, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Packing up to go snow camping next weekend as it looks like some Pacifica storms are coming into California.

Seems my gear keeps getting lighter but the list keeps getting longer.

I always carry earplugs camping. In the Winter the Stellar Jays seem to land in the trees above my tent at sunrise to yack about my camp. Also when those heavy winds do hit, the earplugs make it eaasier to sleep through it.

In the summer besides the birds, we have herds of cows walking in the woods with bells on them, wind noise etc, to keep me awake.

Try the cylindrical yellow ones or maybe custom jobs?
Jim S

5:57 a.m. on March 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

In the Winter the Stellar Jays seem to land in the trees above my tent at sunrise to yack about my camp.

Quote:

Try the cylindrical yellow ones or maybe custom jobs?

Crows can carry on quite a loud conversation at dawn year round in my neck of the woods. I too carry earplugs - the yellow cylindrical ones. They reduce noise about 30 decibels if I remember correctly. Seems as though the crows are at about 200! They also help block out some of that blasted snoring emanating from your camp mates and they can turn it up to about 500. :0>

6:39 a.m. on March 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Matt J, MattJ

Well one time we pulled into an island and I think it was a mating season for everything that lived there. When one species finished other started an it went on all night long. It doesn't bother me at all since I learned how to sleep to big noises in the army but my group didn't get any sleep.

Another time crows were going nuts in the trees and some guy at 5 am run out of his tent and started screaming: "Damn birds go to sleep, I beg you, go to sleep, for the love of God sleep,". Well that didn't work but was pretty funny.

9:49 p.m. on March 10, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Earplugs - Loons

Quote:

Well one time we pulled into an island and I think it was a mating season for everything that lived there.

Years ago I went to Lake Laronge which is way up in Saskatchewan Canada on the edge of tundra. I got a ride thirty miles out to a camp and rented a canoe from a resort amd paddled to an island a mile out. The first night must have been the Big mosquito hatch of the season as there were about ten billion of them buzzing at my tent door - but worse. It was Loon beeding night. Ever hear the lonely blrrting hollow cry of a loon over water? There must have been thousands of them - thank God for earplugs.

While I'm on the subject of that trip - in California we get bats dipping into the bugs in the smoke above the campfire at night - at Lak Laronge they were huge dragon flies in place of the bats!
Jim S

9:53 a.m. on March 11, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

La Ronge was my HOME!!!

Jim S,

Lac La Ronge...no kidding. I moved there when I was 6 years old and stayed until I went to college. My folks still live there.

Yep, bugs and more bugs!!! Oh, there are bats too, but you have to be in just the right spot. They too dive down into the mozzie swarms.

What camp did you go to, what island, etc...

I had to laugh at your description (no disrespect intended!) of it being on the edge of the Tundra, it isn't really. There is about another eight hundred miles to go north before you hit tundra - believe it or not, but there sure is alot of "nothing" in between.

Diligence

3:29 p.m. on March 12, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Good call. Gotta love the earplugs. I've tried all sorts, but the yellow ones seem to work the best (it's embarrassing but I once got some ear putty stuck right down my ear for the best part of a day...man that drives you nuts when you can only hear out of one ear). Plugs are great for the 4am bird chorus (what's the scientific reason birds go bananas at dawn??), but also good for blocking out snoring tentmates, or entire snoring huts. Not so good when you want to hear your alarm though!

6:05 p.m. on March 12, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Sorry too long ago - Spencer camp?

Quote:

Jim S,

Lac La Ronge...no kidding. I moved there when I was 6 years old and stayed until I went to college. My folks still live there.

Yep, bugs and more bugs!!! Oh, there are bats too, but you have to be in just the right spot. They too dive down into the mozzie swarms.

What camp did you go to, what island, etc...

I had to laugh at your description (no disrespect intended!) of it being on the edge of the Tundra, it isn't really. There is about another eight hundred miles to go north before you hit tundra - believe it or not, but there sure is alot of "nothing" in between.

Diligence

11:50 p.m. on March 13, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Earplugs Q-tips

Quote:

(it's embarrassing but I once got some ear putty stuck right down my ear for the best part of a day...man that drives you nuts when you can only hear out of one ear).

I also have half a dozen q-tips in my first aid kit. I know most people leave out the first aid kit in the interest of weight savings... mine weighs in at about a pound but also includes sunscreen microlith flashlight and things like - well - first aid stuff.

Quote:

Not so good when you want to hear your alarm though!

Alarm????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim S

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: layering Newer: Kelty Satori 4500 Pack
All forums: Older: LOWA Civetta EXTREME Gore-Tex plastic boots Newer: F/S Marmot Alpinist Climbing Pants (Gore-Tex, Brand New,XL)