3/4 length sleeping pad (head or foot)

2:28 a.m. on March 22, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

i have a 3/4 length sleeping pad that i am about to use for the first time while winter camping. so do i put the pad under my feet and body or under my head and body? where's the gap?

3:18 p.m. on March 22, 2003 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
144 forum posts

I go from the neck down. I'll stuff some x-tra clothing in a stuff sack for a pillow and then pile the rest of my x-tra clothes at the far end of the pad to insulate my lower legs and feet.


Quote:

i have a 3/4 length sleeping pad that i am about to use for the first time while winter camping. so do i put the pad under my feet and body or under my head and body? where's the gap?

10:54 p.m. on March 23, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: 3/4 length (head or foot) thanks steve, good advice

Quote:

I go from the neck down. I'll stuff some x-tra clothing in a stuff sack for a pillow and then pile the rest of my x-tra clothes at the far end of the pad to insulate my lower legs and feet.


Quote:

i have a 3/4 length sleeping pad that i am about to use for the first time while winter camping. so do i put the pad under my feet and body or under my head and body? where's the gap?

12:40 p.m. on March 24, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

The Problem is the Question

If (and this is a big "if") your winter camping involves snow or frozen ground, I think that someone might ask why are you planning on using a 3/4 pad in the winter in the first place? From my own limited winter camping experiences, reading this forum, and my research in purchasing a new pad, I question whether a 3/4 pad will meet your needs, regardless of how you place it under your body.

3:44 p.m. on March 24, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

I have the 3/4 guidelite thermarest. I've used it in 10* and in 70* temps. I'm 5'11 and find putting it under my head/body to be the best combo. I place my internal fram pack with extra clothing on my pack thus making a nice area for my feet to rest at night. This pad is great for winter even into the single digits. Although, who wants to camp when it's below 10*??... tooooooo cold!!!

10:15 p.m. on March 31, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Neck to calves works well. Fill your sleeping bag stuffsack up with clothes for a pillow. I also carry a sitmat/shorty pad which is a small square of closed cell foam for sitting around camp on. this goes under your feet.

If you're going to be out for more than a night or two, it's also worth thinking about a thin closed cell foam mat as well, to place under the thremarest. If your thermarest gets a slow leak, it's not a lot of fun to be sleeping directly on snow.


Quote:

i have a 3/4 length sleeping pad that i am about to use for the first time while winter camping. so do i put the pad under my feet and body or under my head and body? where's the gap?

10:47 a.m. on April 3, 2003 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
749 forum posts
full pad for Winter

Quote:

If (and this is a big "if") your winter camping involves snow or frozen ground, I think that someone might ask why are you planning on using a 3/4 pad in the winter in the first place?

Right - like why are you considering a 3/4 length pad in the first place? A "z" rester - a folding 16 ounce closed cell pad is a nice extra in the Winter - put in under the 3/4 and use any other padding (Usually lumpy).

Jim S

1:10 a.m. on July 25, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

the 3/4 thermarest is great for snow camping as well as in snowcaves. put the pad under your head & body and stick your feet into your emptied pack. helps if you stuff pine needles under your tent to act as additional insulation.

snow camping is the way to go. plenty of water all around you, no rv's with their nosy generators (old people hate the cold), less crowded & best of all....no bugs.

January 18, 2018
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Tent design - what to look for (:->) Newer: Snow Peak products
All forums: Older: Wanted: Eureka Alpenlite 2XT Newer: Hurrah for Kelty (:->)