question: waterproofing a wildernest

8:38 a.m. on April 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi. I'm hoping to get some serious help here.

Can anyone help me in restoring the 100% waterproofing to my newly aquired Wildernest tent? I have read previous threads which describe external spray-ons and internal treatment procedures. I'm willing to do what is required to make this a comfortable, DRY tent. Thanks.

2:23 p.m. on April 14, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
If the polyurethane coating on the inside

of the tent is intact, all you really need to do is re-seal the seams.

If the coating is starting to come off, I really don't believe that it is econonomically feasible to recoat the walls. "Recoat" is pretty expensive. It's also hard to get all the old coating off and get a smooth uniform coating on.

Using a waterproof spray on the exterior will never fill all the voids in the material if the interior coating is flawed.

2:31 p.m. on April 14, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: If the polyurethane coating on the inside

The coating on the iside isn't peeling off. Must it be to be in need of a recoat? What products and process does this entail? But, given a sound polyurethane interior, any suggestions for an exterior product?

5:16 p.m. on April 14, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
If the inside coating is fine......

If the coating isn't peeling, I'd leave it alone. I have gotten and applied recoat and it never completely dried after application and the nylon became hard and sticky. I wouldn't use this stuff unless completely necessary. "re-coat" sells for about $6.00 for about 8 ounces.

I would simply just reseal the seams. Seems every tent needs this done every couple of years. After sealing and it's completely dry, set the tent up and hit it with a water sprinkler for a couple of hours to test the storm worthiness.

No need to treat the exterior other than seam sealer.

11:03 a.m. on April 16, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: If the inside coating is fine......

Quote:

If the coating isn't peeling, I'd leave it alone. I have gotten and applied recoat and it never completely dried after application and the nylon became hard and sticky. I wouldn't use this stuff unless completely necessary. "re-coat" sells for about $6.00 for about 8 ounces.

I would simply just reseal the seams. Seems every tent needs this done every couple of years. After sealing and it's completely dry, set the tent up and hit it with a water sprinkler for a couple of hours to test the storm worthiness.

No need to treat the exterior other than seam sealer.

I agree so much. The only thing you truly have to worry about is the Seams. i myself have not recoated but a few people that have and in the long run they wish they had not even tried this.

They figure that the seams are the important things. So just go out and buy seam sealer from any outdoor storeand apply it to the seams.

11:50 a.m. on April 23, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

See my reply at REI, no message

Quote:

-)

December 24, 2014
Quick Reply