Which tent for me?

3:23 a.m. on May 3, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I need a tent that weighs under or around 5 lbs, sleeps 2 (has to actually sleep 2 unrelated people!!!), good ventilation and weather protection. 2 doors and a large enough vestibule (or 2) to cook in or store packs in would be great. I am looking to spend around 200-250. So far I am looking mostly at the Eureka Mountain Pass Exo and the Kelty Vortex 2 (v2 is a little heavy), and Zen (lighter but much less room) Which of those 3 tents would be the best for 2 man camping with high probability of rain (it always rains when I camp) and definite need for lightness?

3:32 a.m. on May 3, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I need a tent that weighs under or around 5 lbs, sleeps 2 (has to actually sleep 2 unrelated people!!!), good ventilation and weather protection. 2 doors and a large enough vestibule (or 2) to cook in or store packs in would be great. I am looking to spend around 200-250. So far I am looking mostly at the Eureka Mountain Pass Exo and the Kelty Vortex 2 (v2 is a little heavy), and Zen (lighter but much less room) Which of those 3 tents would be the best for 2 man camping with high probability of rain (it always rains when I camp) and definite need for lightness?

I am also looking at MSR Zoid 2 and Ventana tents as well...

5:49 p.m. on May 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

So far, I really like my REI Half Dome Plus. Good room for 2 and 2 huge vestibules. Plus, you don't have to spend up to your limit.

8:10 p.m. on May 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

The REI Half Dome + 2.

5 lbs 2 oz.
34 sq ft
2 large doors
2 large vestibules (9.7sq ft each)
stash doors
attic
lots of mesh
ventible fly
color coded fly straps
clip design
sets up in two minutes

$159 minus your membership dividend of $15.90 .

It was also voted Backpacker Magazine's Editor's Choice Award top honors for 2002.

This tent is awesome for the price.

blade

Quote:

7:39 a.m. on May 6, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Zoid 2 on sale

Zoid 2 on sale:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/fulfillmentadventures/msrzoid2.html

I ordered a 2003 microzoid from this site and I'm happy with the service. Since the web photo/info is outdated, you may have to write first to confirm the year/model.

REI Coupe is an alternative, but I don't like its pitching mechanism. For $90, you can get a zoid 2 clone = Coleman Inyo 2. Good luck :-)

2:35 p.m. on May 8, 2003 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

You might consider the old style Eureka Mountain Pass 2XT (that is without the XO frame.) Its several inches wider than the Kelty Vortex 2. The XT 'bathtub' floor also 'gives' more in width than the very defined 'arcedge' of the kelty. It all adds to more width. The XT seemed significantly roomier than the Vortex 2 to me when I had both side by side. The Vortex is a very nice tent, though.
The XT and the Vortex can also be 'fast packed' with a footprint, poles and fly when you want to go extra light.
Campmor and others had this model on close-out so you can get a good price if you check around.
Note the color of the older XTs. I believe the green/back model has a polyester fly, the older models with an orange rainfly are nylon.
The newer Mountain Pass XO design can't be pitched without the fly. Seems like a drawback for nice weather camping.

2:35 p.m. on May 8, 2003 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

You might consider the old style Eureka Mountain Pass 2XT (that is without the XO frame.) Its several inches wider than the Kelty Vortex 2. The XT 'bathtub' floor also 'gives' more in width than the very defined 'arcedge' of the kelty. It all adds to more width. The XT seemed significantly roomier than the Vortex 2 to me when I had both side by side. The Vortex is a very nice tent, though.
The XT and the Vortex can also be 'fast packed' with a footprint, poles and fly when you want to go extra light.
Campmor and others had this model on close-out so you can get a good price if you check around.
Note the color of the older XTs. I believe the green/back model has a polyester fly, the older models with an orange rainfly are nylon.
The newer Mountain Pass XO design can't be pitched without the fly. Seems like a drawback for nice weather camping.

10:29 p.m. on June 1, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I shopped for a 2 man tent for months before I settled on the Vortex 2. It has withstood 30 to 40 mph winds, rain, and hail and never leaked. I save a little weight by packing it without the stuff sack in my internal frame pack. It sets up in less than 5 minutes even in the dark. Can be used with just the footprint and the fly to shave off even more weight.

Quote:

8:10 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jimdunkin

Quote:

8:11 p.m. on June 5, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jimdunkin

Quote:

I have used a kelty V2 for three years now and it is the best tent I have ever had.

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply