Cohutta Conditions?

11:36 a.m. on June 17, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

Anybody been to the Cohutta Wilderness recently? I'm guessing the water level is pretty high but I still plan to go this weekend if it's not raining.

2:04 p.m. on June 17, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

no kidding, i was trying to get up a couple friends to go to the cohutta this weekend too. ya know, i've always heard people talk about how jack's river gets pretty harry after good rains- but frankly, i don't see it. farther downstream, on the western side of the cohutta- it might get a little high. i remember us having a hard time getting across with our packs without taking the plunge one rainy weekend a few years ago- not impossible, but we needed to make a human chain 'cos we didn't have walking sticks or ropes. but after the first few crossings on jacks river trail, it got so the water was only about knee-high. now, i hear the conasauga gets high, but i'ver never been there when it was storming. i heard they were supposed to put in some new rules by jacks river falls- no alcohol, no campfires or no campsites, or something to that effect- on account of the "high impact" that visitors had left on that area. do you know they ever actually did that?

Quote:

Anybody been to the Cohutta Wilderness recently? I'm guessing the water level is pretty high but I still plan to go this weekend if it's not raining.

10:14 a.m. on June 18, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I don't know if they ever implemented those rules or not. I think it would just the area near where Beech Bottom trail intersects with the Jack's river trail. Beech offers a relavtively easy and short hike so fools would drag cooler and even kegs of beer down to the Jack's falls area. There is that rather large camping area up stream of the falls that I avoid at all costs. I've never really had a problem with the river crossings but this is an aweful lot of rain. I don't know if I'll guy or not since it is going to rain all the way through Friday at least. It will be a mudfest if I do go.

Quote:

no kidding, i was trying to get up a couple friends to go to the cohutta this weekend too. ya know, i've always heard people talk about how jack's river gets pretty harry after good rains- but frankly, i don't see it. farther downstream, on the western side of the cohutta- it might get a little high. i remember us having a hard time getting across with our packs without taking the plunge one rainy weekend a few years ago- not impossible, but we needed to make a human chain 'cos we didn't have walking sticks or ropes. but after the first few crossings on jacks river trail, it got so the water was only about knee-high. now, i hear the conasauga gets high, but i'ver never been there when it was storming. i heard they were supposed to put in some new rules by jacks river falls- no alcohol, no campfires or no campsites, or something to that effect- on account of the "high impact" that visitors had left on that area. do you know they ever actually did that?

Quote:

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply