About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Pciked up a TNF Blue Kazoo for $144...

1:13 p.m. on June 22, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

Sportsbasement.com has a great deal right now on The North Face Blue Kazoo 20 deg Down mummy, and some other bags- thought I would pass this along for anyone looking for a new bag.
http://www.sportsbasement.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1547&itemType=CATEGORY&iShadCat=1531&iMainCat=1542&iSubCat=1547

8:02 p.m. on June 22, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Blue Kazoo

Just a word to the wise - don't plan on being warm in it at 20 degrees unless you're wearing a down jacket and warm pants in it. Also the 20 degrees means that you have to shake all the down to the top as there are no baffles in it so you can do this, which means you better have a good pad underneath - or two. I wouldn't use my blue kazoo below freezing without a down suit to wear inside it.
Jim S

7:33 a.m. on June 23, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Hmmmm, do you really want advice about a modern down sleeping bag

from a guy that includes a coon skin cap and a long beaver coat in his hiking equipment?

10:53 a.m. on June 23, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts
The Real Jimmy S

Jim gets on these "primitive" kicks once in a while (hey, the Old GreyBearded One plays Mountain Man in buckskins, with black powder rifle a couple times a year, too - it's ok to go genuine retro once in a while ;=>D ) Jim also gets on "superlight" kicks from time to time (recall the trip he and I took last fall - 22 and 24 pound packs, including food, water, and cameras for a 3-day weekend, and that was the luxo version, not the "RayWay" version).

The Real Jim is a supermodern High-Tech kind of guy. He usually has his Bibler Eldorado, down-filled air bed (Stephenson), titanium food prep setup, etc. And he does even more testing of gear to find its limits than OGBO does, more than anyone other than the outdoor mags paid testers (and is far more thorough and honest about the results, too). His typical evening entertainment in the woods is to pick a little knoll overlooking a lake, somewhere far back in the Sierra, and sit watching the bears, deer, and other creatures through his night vision scope.

I have to agree with Jim about the Blue Kazoo, though. I know several people who have bought them on sale (we have a couple of TNF outlet stores in the SFBay area, and they frequently have things like the BK on sale - need a full down suit, suitable for Everest - lots on sale right now, and really cheap, at least for full down suits). They have all reported about the same thing for temperature range. The Blue Kazoo is a nice, *summer* bag, not really even 3-season. Clarification about the baffles, though. There are no *side* baffles. The down is in tubes that go around the bag (transverse to the length of the bag - if you stood up, they would be horizontal). The idea is that you can shake the bag to shift the down to just the top in cooler weather (with an insulating pad underneath, of course, sort of like a comforter), evenly top and bottom (for summer in the Rockies or Sierra), or all to the bottom (for use in Ed G's country, down thar' in Floreedah, Jawjah, o' Caroline').

Just don't try to learn fire by friction from Jimmy - he's got a ways to go - all smoke and no fire.

Hey, Jim! Be careful up there next weekend. Fire danger is high. I will be farther north, camping in the remnants of last winter's snow.

11:21 a.m. on June 23, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
LOL! I can just picture it

man dressed in nothing but a beaver coat and coon skin hat working a fireboard with sparks flying everywhere.

"What in da hell was that?" Myrtle asks JIm Bob.

Jim Bob replies: "I rightly don't know Myrtle, Looked like a bear with a human arse runnin' t'wards the lake".

12:37 p.m. on June 23, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Bare naked in beaver skin

Quote:

man dressed in nothing but a beaver coat and coon skin hat working a fireboard with sparks flying everywhere.

I will admit that the idea of sleeping under a beaver skin coat in an area with lions and bears Gives me just a bit of a shiver. I don't want to smell too good to them!!! I shall "mark" my territory well... (;->) Thats what the coffee is for - instant at that.

As for the fire board - I am using a piece of cedar for the board and a redwood branch to turn in it. I will aslo admit to attaching my Milwaukee 18volt drill to the redwood branch for the sake of just trying to get a fire going. If I succeed this week, then I will make a proper bow next weekend and leave the Milwaukee at home - mainly because I will be in a wilderness and motors are disallowed.

Have fun Bill - keep yer socks dry... (;->) And yes - If I am going to take one pot - it will be a 2 quart titanium job.

As for a blue kazoo being modern - I think I bought mine 15 years ago. I am thinking of cutting off the top and making a foot sack out of it - and restuffing the bottom half with some of the down from the top. Otherwise I haven't used it for 10 years - got a 24 ounce summer bag now.

Jim S

9:13 p.m. on June 23, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott
T-N-F

The North Face sleeping bags pretty much suck. Ive yet to see anything that looks good with a TNF logo, except the ocassional mall chic sporting a $300 gore-tex jacket. The blue kazoo is horrible and only teases you with a down product. If you want a quality bag then send that thing back and get a moonstone, marmot, western mountaineering or feathered friends. That's about the only companies that actually know what the hell theyre doing when it comes to down. While TNF is still playing grab-ass with their cheesy 600 fill, watch-pocket bags Marmot and Western Mountaineering are using things such as 900 fill down. WM has created the Pod series which elimintaes bottom fill and has a sleeve for the sleeping pad. TNF is and always will be a joke among true hikers... they just spend tons of money on marketing to 'look cool'.

11:43 p.m. on June 23, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
must be talking about an older model..

This one does have baffles, so you can't move the down around much at all. I had read about the older Blue Kazoo bags being made like this, but this one is not. I'll have to wait for a cold spell to check the temp, but it was toasty at 30 deg.

11:51 a.m. on June 25, 2003 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts
Re: must be talking about an older model..

Quote:

This one does have baffles, so you can't move the down around much at all.

Yes, it does have baffles, but in the circumferential direction. But the tubes are continuous around the bag from zipper to zipper. You can shift the down from being all on top to all on the bottom, or uniformly distributed top and bottom. The idea is to change the distribution of down according to temperature conditions. There are a number of bags made this way, especially for the light-packing community. You can read about the philosophy of this on Stephenson's website. Jardine just goes with a down comforter, rather than a sleeping bag, but by shifting the down to the top of the bag, you essentially have a comforter (top means the side that is toward the sky when you are lying in the bag, not the head end).

Shifting the down takes a bit of shaking, but you unzip the bag fully, hold it by the zipper sideways, and shake vigorously until you get the desired distribution.

9:50 a.m. on June 30, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
Re: T-N-F

I don't know anything about their down bags but I've been pretty pleased with my Cat's Meow bag.

Quote:

The North Face sleeping bags pretty much suck. Ive yet to see anything that looks good with a TNF logo, except the ocassional mall chic sporting a $300 gore-tex jacket. The blue kazoo is horrible and only teases you with a down product. If you want a quality bag then send that thing back and get a moonstone, marmot, western mountaineering or feathered friends. That's about the only companies that actually know what the hell theyre doing when it comes to down. While TNF is still playing grab-ass with their cheesy 600 fill, watch-pocket bags Marmot and Western Mountaineering are using things such as 900 fill down. WM has created the Pod series which elimintaes bottom fill and has a sleeve for the sleeping pad. TNF is and always will be a joke among true hikers... they just spend tons of money on marketing to 'look cool'.

8:13 p.m. on July 10, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
He's right Bill...

Quote:

Quote:

This one does have baffles, so you can't move the down around much at all.

Yes, it does have baffles, but in the circumferential direction.

The "new Blue Kazoo has been redesigned and has Chevron tubes. Might be warmer too. Looks better...
Jim S

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply