Light weight tent

12:17 p.m. on June 25, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. shanthi raman

hi,

We had previously owned a kelty river bend 2 and we found that it really tough getting in and out every time. The performance was great on the tent, even when it was really cold outside there was no condensation. Currently we own a rei half dome plus 2 and we went camping to locket meadows in Flagstaff last week end. It was quite windy and we realized that after we pitched the tent it was completely filled with sand(i mean completly!!!!). The sleeping bag and the thermarest were covered with sand. We got into the sleeping bag and there was sand falling all over our face. We had to cover our face with the sleeping bag to avoid the sand. In the morning we both emerged out of the tent looking like cave men. We even guyed the tent out!!!!!....Any suggestions on a better tent that we could buy for 2 not over 6 lbs with a budget of $200.

6:20 p.m. on June 25, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

hi,

Currently we own a rei half dome plus 2 and we went camping to locket meadows in Flagstaff last week end. It was quite windy and we realized that after we pitched the tent it was completely filled with sand(i mean completly!!!!).

I take it this tent has a lot of screen area? If you are in blowing sand the only hope is a solid wall tent - no screens. That might be kinda hot down where you are though. My wife and I camped in a sand storm in the desert in March and had no problem in our Bibler ElDorado - which has only two tiny roof vents - course it was near freezing.

Jim S

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply