Gander Mountain Tents

9:26 a.m. on July 18, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. darylm74

Does anyone know who makes Gander Mountain's tents? I know Slumberjack has made some of their sleeping bags in the past. Am hoping another reputable company makes their tents. Anyone had any bad experience with them?

9:50 a.m. on July 18, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
From the Gander Mountain web site.....

Tent section.

"We carry favorites that have been around the woods a few times, including: Coleman, Coghlan

11:44 a.m. on July 18, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. darylm74
Re: From the Gander Mountain web site.....

Quote:

Tent section.

"We carry favorites that have been around the woods a few times, including: Coleman, Coghlan

2:34 p.m. on July 18, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Call the store

ask one of the salespeople

11:12 p.m. on July 20, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
I've had one of their dome tents for several years

I use it for car camping w/ my family- it has held up well, and has taken a lot of abuse. Just your average fiberglass pole dome design, but is all I need for my family.

Quote:

Does anyone know who makes Gander Mountain's tents? I know Slumberjack has made some of their sleeping bags in the past. Am hoping another reputable company makes their tents. Anyone had any bad experience with them?

10:08 a.m. on July 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Gander Mt. tents are almost certainly made in China. Could be by anyone of a number of OEM type manufacturers. No one makes low and mid price tents in U.S. anymore. American companies go to Asia and spec a product. They make it and deliver it to the company in the U.S. Gander Mt. could be using more than one supplier. Could be even the same one that makes Eureka or Sierra Designs. I think it is the retailer you have to trust as in the end they have to stand behind the product. If you trust Gander Mt. then you should probably feel good about buying their tent.

6:10 p.m. on July 22, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Ok, after smooth talking the little sales girl for awhile, she finally went back and checked. She said she wasn't suppose to tell me but having my 2 year old son with me helped. Northpole Inc, which makes tents for everyone under the sun, makes them. They are nice tents but.....I believe you get what you pay for and if my wife gets wet at the first drop of rain to hit the tent, my camping days are over unles they are by myself. Thanks again...

7:40 a.m. on November 14, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I just purchased a Guide Series Firefly Lite 2 tent at Gander Mountain. The product registration is from Northpole. Northpole is the largest manufacturer of tents in the US.
This looks like a great tent. It has HS aluminum poles, a vestibule and the well tested body/rainfly design. My store sold the tent at $99 (and it was on sale). GM sold tents do not have a great rep - but things change. The manufacture on this tent seems very solid. I have not tested this tent in the field yet, but I am betting that with my regular seam sealing routine and good care this will be a great tent to use. I have had great luck with carefully chosen less expensive tents and refuse to blow $250 to $400 on a tent.

11:12 p.m. on August 25, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I just spent two nights in this tent as a test for future use w/a mentoring group. I found it a bit difficult to get out of the vestibule entrance, but then again this is supposed to be for backpacking so it can't be too large. It rained the second night. This tent stayed DRY! My cousin owns Coleman tents and usually has to quit camping when it rains because his tents always get wet inside. I'm looking to by another Guide Series model for myself because I'm so satisfied w/the product. I don't camp alot so it wouldn't pay to invest too much money.

The other seller are the young people that work at the Gander Mountain I shop at. I've encountered at least ten different employees and they have all been very helpful and polite!

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply