Hurrah Kelty (:->)

10:45 p.m. on July 25, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

This is a big hurrah to Kelty. I bought a White Phantom backpack in 1988. The waterproof coating came off the inside and everything that came out of the pack looked like it had dandruff. I returned it to kelty July 7th and today (July 25th)I got a brand new Cloud 6500 delivered to my door by UPS.
Thats the best warantee service I've ever seen.
JIm S (:->)

1:15 p.m. on July 26, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Great. Maybe I'll Try It

I bought a Jansport (bright yellow) in 1989 and it's also flaky. Maybe I'll try to return it. Or maybe I'll hold on to it as a relic. When I showed it to a REI backpack guru, he got all misty-eyed and explained that it was THE original internal frame pack even before they started calling them "internal frames" that was specifically designed for climbing. One OGBO who saw it on the trail called it a "Yaksack." Thing is, if it weren't for the DWR flaking off the insides, it's still a decent light pack in good shape.

4:55 p.m. on July 26, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Ummmm.....Date Correction....Sorry

Quote:

I bought a Jansport (bright yellow) in 1989

I bought it in 1979 from REI or some other co-op in Berkeley.

9:24 p.m. on July 26, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Re: Ummmm.....Date Correction....Sorry

Quote:

Quote:

I bought a Jansport (bright yellow)

in 1979 from REI or some other co-op in Berkeley.

Being as how its a Jansport maybe you should just put a big plastic bag in it cause they're not gonna replace it. I wonder how much it weighs though.... Packs keep getting heavier - oh the first year it comes out its light and stripped, but then year after year they add "features".

The White Phantom that I bought in 89 ($500) weighed 3 lb and 3 OZ and that was that. The new Cloud 6500 weighs 4 lbs 11 OZ all up but its modular, and its heaps bigger. I removed all but 32 ounces of it for ultralight Summer use and put on the light weight waist band. Yes a huge pack at 2 pounds even!!! For Winter I'll add back the beefy waist band, top pocket and internal frame, that should bring it up over 4 pounds, which is considerably more than the old White phantom - probably a pound more, but it will actually be large enough for my big winter bag and all the other Winter gear. The old White Phantom was just a tad small - had too much tied on the outside for mountaineering really. The new one has great ice tool loops.
Jim S

11:55 p.m. on July 26, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
Had a similar experience w/ my Super Tioga

Got a Super Tioga in '85, and by 2000, the waterproof coating was comming off in one pocket, and one of the frame wields had cracked. There were also several places where chipmunks and the frame had worn holes in the pack (I put some serious miles on this thing). They replaced the frame, recoated the entire pack, and patched all the holes- for free, all under warranty. Just like trading in an old pack for a new one after 15 years!

Quote:

This is a big hurrah to Kelty. I bought a White Phantom backpack in 1988. The waterproof coating came off the inside and everything that came out of the pack looked like it had dandruff. I returned it to kelty July 7th and today (July 25th)I got a brand new Cloud 6500 delivered to my door by UPS.
Thats the best warantee service I've ever seen.
JIm S (:->)

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply