Packing light - since people keep asking

8:01 p.m. on September 4, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I have learned that the weight of a backpack depends upon the weather, your mission goals, the length of the trip, the availability of water, the quality of your gear, and the ruthlessness with which you pare down your gear.
Bill S and I have the finest high tech gear made and tend to camp under ideal circumstances for 2-3 days at a time, so we can boast 18 pound packs including water. Where Ed camps in Florida you have to pack in all of the water and that

6:31 a.m. on September 5, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
You left Florida too darn soon!

There is a tropical storm brewing in the gulf and heading for north central Florida. I'm heading out to camp in the Greeneway (Belleview area) Saturday night - don't want to miss this.

I could have shown you the hurricane proof Ed G hootch/hammock system. Just wish I had re-sealed my leaky tent fly seems.

11:31 a.m. on September 5, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Nope - just in time - enjoy the huricane (:->)

Quote:

There is a tropical storm brewing in the gulf and heading for north central Florida. I'm heading out to camp in the Greeneway (Belleview area) Saturday night - don't want to miss this.

I could have shown you the hurricane proof Ed G hootch/hammock system. Just wish I had re-sealed my leaky tent fly seems.

Hmm - I wondered what kind of gear you use in a huricane? Are they colder than normal, or just wetter? Too bad you can't dig a snow cave... what do the gators do?
Jim S

11:53 a.m. on September 5, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Not a huricane, it's a tropical storm coming.....

winds only about 40 mph, but they do bring a lot of rain.

I once hiked 8 miles on a beach into the wind driven rain during a tropical storm. That hurts! My hiking boots at the time were rubber coated on the outside. They didn't let water in or out. By the time I made it to camp, I had two inches of water inside each boot.

Temps generally drop into the mid 80's during these storms. Gators do the same thing as Navy ships and boats... go into deep water and float around.

Yes, gators will go into salt water.

4:50 p.m. on September 8, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Not a huricane, it's a tropical storm coming.....

Go Gators! They were my school mascot in the beautiful old historic city of Georgetown, SC.

Ed, I've endured a heap of tropical storms and hurricanes in my time. Georgetown is located on a bay, so it normally does not sustain much damage from the storms. I guess that's why we never got upset over most of them. I just saw them as an inconvenience since I wanted to be outside tromping in the woods with my brothers (tomboy, you know).

The west coast has its share of terrific storms too now, James. About Florida - be nice.

6:15 a.m. on September 9, 2003 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
we didn't even get a tropical storm......

all it did was rain for about an hour Saturday morning. Very disappointing. Evening camping trip was cancelled due to good weather.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply