About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Siltent

4:59 p.m. on October 4, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Hi guys,
Last weekend I finally got a chance to sleep in my one pound silicon nylon tent. I loved the fifteen pound pack (basic gear)and the hyperlight tent worked well.

Observations - this material has the worst condensation problems of any material I've seen. My door was designed to close, not to stay open, so my breath was not blown out the screened bottom end by the wind - it condensed first on the cold walls. Today I'm adding some velcro tabs to hold the door open, and I may replace the door with a short sloping canopy to insure a good draft during a rain..

It might be a good idea to use only sleeping bags with waterproof breathable shells when sleeping inside a tent made of this material. I haven't tried it in a rain yet - only in near freezing fog. Also If you are using any kind of miniature tent be sure to carry a large garbage bag to put your pack and boots in. If you use hiking poles they will help when pitching a tent with no poles above tree line. Also staking the corners out helped a lot.
Jim S (:->)

10:51 p.m. on October 8, 2003 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
60 forum posts
Yep, that's what I have observed w/ mine

The doors I put on my siltarp are just bugnet so I get good airflow. If it rains, I just stake out my ponch as an awning over whatever door the rain is blowing in, though that is rare- most rain is kept out by the bug netting well enough. I also use rope on the sides and don't stake the corners all the way down so there is airflow across the bottom as well.

Quote:

Hi guys,
Last weekend I finally got a chance to sleep in my one pound silicon nylon tent. I loved the fifteen pound pack (basic gear)and the hyperlight tent worked well.

Observations - this material has the worst condensation problems of any material I've seen. My door was designed to close, not to stay open, so my breath was not blown out the screened bottom end by the wind - it condensed first on the cold walls. Today I'm adding some velcro tabs to hold the door open, and I may replace the door with a short sloping canopy to insure a good draft during a rain..

It might be a good idea to use only sleeping bags with waterproof breathable shells when sleeping inside a tent made of this material. I haven't tried it in a rain yet - only in near freezing fog. Also If you are using any kind of miniature tent be sure to carry a large garbage bag to put your pack and boots in. If you use hiking poles they will help when pitching a tent with no poles above tree line. Also staking the corners out helped a lot.
Jim S (:->)

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply