Notheast Outfitters - Deal or Ripoff?

6:32 a.m. on November 5, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Fred

I just bought a tent and sleeping bag at Dick's Sporting Goods. Both were their store brand (Northeast Outfitters) and supposedly 50% off. The tent was $50 as opposed to the "regular" price of $100. It is Chinese made, and looks to be identical to the Eureka Tetragon 7, also Chinese made, so it is possible, even likely, that they are made by the same manufacturer. The Tetragon 7 sells for about $90. A good deal if they are in fact identical. I don't really have any basis of comparison on the sleeping bag. Does anyone know anything about this brand? Did I get a good deal here, or did I pay full price for inferior quality merchandise? I won't open the boxes or toss the receipt until I decide.

6:57 a.m. on November 6, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Northeast Outfitters is a label only sold at Dick's. They are able to claim any retail price and then discount it however much they want. It's usually decent stuff for the price, but don't believe the "original" price. It is possible that the tent is the same as the Eureka. It could also be a copy made by another Chinese manufacturer. It might be as good, it might not. $50 doesn't buy a lot of tent.

Dick's will usually stand behind their products. If it really is junk you could probably get your money back. If you are really worried, take it back and spend the extra $40 on the Eureka.

6:45 a.m. on November 15, 2003 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Yes.

it's definetly possible it's made by the same folks who made the Eureka tents.

A few years back, I came across a guy who was selling 4 person "A frame" tents at a flea market for $25.00. They had the "Coleman" name on them and were still sealed in the box. I bought one for the heck of it.

I took it home, set it up and couldn't believe it....it was identical to my Eureka Timberline 4 (for which I paid $140).

Not believing what I was seeing, I set up the Timberline right next to it. The only difference between the two tents was the Eureka was made with green nylon, the Coleman made of Navy blue nylon. Even all tags inside each tent read the same. My inlaws got the tent and it still is providing the same service as my Eureka. I wouldn't hesitate to take the blue one on a car camping trip (I only use the green one car camping too).

Seam seal your tent, set it up and give it the water sprinkler test for a few hours. If it leaks, take it back.

3:15 p.m. on November 21, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I just bought a family tent that was $100 normally $200. The box was all messed up & they told it was b/c of that they were selling for such a low price. I haven't even set mine up yet but i feel very skeptical abt the quality for the same reasons you have. Please let me know if you have found out any more info on this brand/co. I'm going to open & set it up this weekend.: I just bought a tent and sleeping bag at Dick's Sporting Goods. Both were their store brand (Northeast Outfitters) and supposedly 50% off. The tent was $50 as opposed to the "regular" price of $100. It is Chinese made, and looks to be identical to the Eureka Tetragon 7, also Chinese made, so it is possible, even likely, that they are made by the same manufacturer. The Tetragon 7 sells for about $90. A good deal if they are in fact identical. I don't really have any basis of comparison on the sleeping bag. Does anyone know anything about this brand? Did I get a good deal here, or did I pay full price for inferior quality merchandise? I won't open the boxes or toss the receipt until I decide.

9:33 a.m. on December 15, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I have the "Northwind" made by Northeast outfitters, it is the convertable version of the Eureka Backcountry...2 door, zippered roof vents, to the ground fly with HUGE vestibules...at 7Lbs 3 OZ...it rocks...always loved my Backcountry but bitched about the open mesh, one door, no vestibule...NE Outfitters made the tent useable and it is BOMB proof...on sale at Dick's for $99.00...and at a full 5X7 finished...large enough for Two and gear...I'm sold...

5:37 p.m. on June 28, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I just bought a family tent that was $100 normally $200. The box was all messed up & they told it was b/c of that they were selling for such a low price. I haven't even set mine up yet but i feel very skeptical abt the quality for the same reasons you have. Please let me know if you have found out any more info on this brand/co. I'm going to open & set it up this weekend.: I just bought a tent and sleeping bag at Dick's Sporting Goods. Both were their store brand (Northeast Outfitters) and supposedly 50% off. The tent was $50 as opposed to the "regular" price of $100. It is Chinese made, and looks to be identical to the Eureka Tetragon 7, also Chinese made, so it is possible, even likely, that they are made by the same manufacturer. The Tetragon 7 sells for about $90. A good deal if they are in fact identical. I don't really have any basis of comparison on the sleeping bag. Does anyone know anything about this brand? Did I get a good deal here, or did I pay full price for inferior quality merchandise? I won't open the boxes or toss the receipt until I decide.

I just bought the same tent, the NE Outfitters Voyageur tent at Dick's.
I went there to look at the Eureka Tetragon 7.
They had none in stock so I left.
They were conducting a tent sale in the parking lot so I stopped to peruse the 'bargains'.
Lo and behold there was a tent with the exact same specs as the Eureka. Everything was precisely the same.
The sale tag said $39.95 and they were giving 20% that so I now have a tent to carry in the van and only paid $34.
The packaging was new and unopened. all the stuff was there.
Set it up and it seems to be an OK tent.
Gary

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply