thoughts on knickers?

12:57 a.m. on December 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I was born after knickers went out of fashion I guess (85) and I was wondering if anyone knows why they did? I mean, let's be honest with ourselves, they do look really cool. Plus, they're not restricting, and can turn in to shorts by pulling down the socks. On a related note, does anyone know where to find good knicker socks for backpacking?

6:57 a.m. on December 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

While at first blush this does seem off-topic, truth is that knickers would be primo hiking gear- roomy, yet open at the foreleg to allow cooling air to circulate better. Enter the "big shorts" of the skateboarding/hip-hop clothing ethic. Big cargo shorts are the new knickers, but with more pockets and better materials that are lighter and dry quicker. See- you thought you lost knickers, but really they were with you all along. Alas, I'm not sure if you can get them in the same fresh patterns that Bobby Jones and the other golf-guys of the knicker era had.

Quote:

I was born after knickers went out of fashion I guess (85) and I was wondering if anyone knows why they did? I mean, let's be honest with ourselves, they do look really cool. Plus, they're not restricting, and can turn in to shorts by pulling down the socks. On a related note, does anyone know where to find good knicker socks for backpacking?

11:20 a.m. on December 10, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

My thoughts on knickers? English Chambermaids!!

I was working as a busboy at a ski resort in the Bavarian Alps in 1979-80 where alot of English girls were also working as chambermaids. (Yes, it was a fun time in my life.) Looking around for some typical German things to purchase and bring home, the Lederhosen or knickerbockers seemed pretty obvious. I proudly announced my purchase of "knickers" for myself to one of the English girls. She then sneered, asked if they were "pink and frilly" and marched off. Completely confused, I followed and asked for an explanation for her reaction. Heck, I didn't know that "knickers" is slang for women's underpants in England.

November 1, 2014
Quick Reply