About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

hiking sandal recommendations?

11:34 a.m. on February 23, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with hiking sandals? I thru-hiked the AT in 2001 and wore TEVAs for some of the summer, but found them to be a little TOO lightweight. Some other people had Chacos, but the only weakness is that they're heavy (price you pay for a good sole). Does anyone know of any product that's in between TEVAs and Chacos?

thanks

2:58 p.m. on February 25, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I have an old pair of Alps (Teva now) which I've always enjoyed. For a couple of seasons I used a sandle by Solomon that was lighttweight and sturdy. Had to wear my socks with them though or else the top of my foot would get rubbed raw.

They were good on traction and support but I had to ditch them because for some reason after I got them wet with salt water they stunk to high heaven. I mean bad.

Not sure what I'll buy this year.

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with hiking sandals? I thru-hiked the AT in 2001 and wore TEVAs for some of the summer, but found them to be a little TOO lightweight. Some other people had Chacos, but the only weakness is that they're heavy (price you pay for a good sole). Does anyone know of any product that's in between TEVAs and Chacos?

thanks

11:19 a.m. on August 4, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've hiked all over the Sierra in my Merrels. They are hands-down the best sandals on the trail; I prefer them to my boots, even while carrying a large load. They are an older model- have had them for about ten years and they are still great (had new velcro sewn on the straps). I have flat feet and a broke my toe last year, so being comfortable on the downhills is always a problem. There are a lot more options now on the market, but I highly recommend getting a sandal that has a neoprene layer against your skin, and is adjustable enough for barefootin' or socks.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply