Camping with TomD

11:37 a.m. on February 23, 2004 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Hi All,
Well the long awaited Winter Yosemite trip came to be. Friday night we drove to Merced and Staurday morning we drove up to Badger Pass in Yosemite on the south rim. TomD had a pile of gear to bring and test so he pulled my sled. We went through his gear Saturday morning and left out a lot and as it turned out it was pretty warm all weekend and deep winter gear would have left us soaked in sweat. It spit snow the entire time we were there, but maybe only 2 inches fell.

We went in about 2 miles and camped in a forest of trees that looked to be 300' tall. Fortunately there was light snow and only little of it sluffed onto our tent. We used my coleman 2 burner xtreme and a stove of Toms - white gas that was nicely behaved - forgot what model. I took a Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag rated at 10 degrees and never zipped it - just pulled it over me on my Down Air Mattress.

Tom got severe altitude sickness and we abandoneed the trip at 2pm on Sunday to get him to lower altitude. We drove through a major storm leaving Yosemite and I think there would have been a snow had we stayed, then dragging out the sled would have been a real challenge.
JimS

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply