Exploring the Cucamonga Wilderness

4:43 p.m. on April 11, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

We were heading out to find signs of the yellow puma, then maybe pick up a peak or two in the process. Our plans adjusted as the trip progressed. After all we had the whole Cucamonga Wilderness to explore.

Trip report is with the pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/user/wld257

6:26 p.m. on April 11, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,396 forum posts

Quote:

We were heading out to find signs of the yellow puma,

Last Thursday, while on one of my frequent hikes up Mission Peak, I first heard, then saw a "puddy tat". Haven't seen one in the wild in many years, although we see sign (tracks and scat) in the SFBay Area hills fairly frequently. This was just a little way out of the Stanford Ave parking lot, near where the Horse Heaven trail splits off. I heard the characteristic "scream", looked over and got a clear view of the lion break from the trees in the streambed, maybe a hundred yards away, then head rapidly upstream into the next bunch of trees. Wish I had the camera, but digicams take too long to power up and get ready to shoot. Anyway, this guy and his black Lab came up to the Peak trail (the branch I was on) and commented that he and the dog had stopped at the stream for the dog to play in the water a bit. The dog started running upstream and at that point the guy saw the catamount about 20 or 30 feet away by his estimate. The puma took off through the trees with the Lab in pursuit. The guy heard what he described as a roar (probably the scream I heard - mountain lion don't roar, they scream) and yelled for the dog to come back. He was a bit wide-eyed, and guessed the weight at 125-150 pounds (seems reasonable from the glimpse I got). People living next to Mission Peak park report lion fairly frequently and the local news media have gotten some video of them.

Interesting "coincidence"(??) is that Friday evening, during the usual Easter peace demonstration at Lawrence Livermore Lab (about 20-25 miles away, and well within a lion's travel distance in 24 hours), a 125-pound mountain lion appeared hiding behind the LLL entrance sign, pretty close to the demonstration. The police and sheriffs closed in on the lion and decided it posed too much of a danger, so they put it down. I can't help but wonder if it was maybe the same cat. Really sad.

Anyway, WLD, nice photos as usual, another area I haven't been to in decades. But I gotta wonder, as I look through your photo albums - who are all these lovely young ladies you seem to inveigle into going on your treks?

6:39 p.m. on April 11, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

The young ladies are just hikers who like to get out to explore I guess. I never really thought to much about it. Goes to show you, I will hike with anyone! :)

Quote:

Quote:

We were heading out to find signs of the yellow puma,

Last Thursday, while on one of my frequent hikes up Mission Peak, I first heard, then saw a "puddy tat". Haven't seen one in the wild in many years, although we see sign (tracks and scat) in the SFBay Area hills fairly frequently. This was just a little way out of the Stanford Ave parking lot, near where the Horse Heaven trail splits off. I heard the characteristic "scream", looked over and got a clear view of the lion break from the trees in the streambed, maybe a hundred yards away, then head rapidly upstream into the next bunch of trees. Wish I had the camera, but digicams take too long to power up and get ready to shoot. Anyway, this guy and his black Lab came up to the Peak trail (the branch I was on) and commented that he and the dog had stopped at the stream for the dog to play in the water a bit. The dog started running upstream and at that point the guy saw the catamount about 20 or 30 feet away by his estimate. The puma took off through the trees with the Lab in pursuit. The guy heard what he described as a roar (probably the scream I heard - mountain lion don't roar, they scream) and yelled for the dog to come back. He was a bit wide-eyed, and guessed the weight at 125-150 pounds (seems reasonable from the glimpse I got). People living next to Mission Peak park report lion fairly frequently and the local news media have gotten some video of them.

Interesting "coincidence"(??) is that Friday evening, during the usual Easter peace demonstration at Lawrence Livermore Lab (about 20-25 miles away, and well within a lion's travel distance in 24 hours), a 125-pound mountain lion appeared hiding behind the LLL entrance sign, pretty close to the demonstration. The police and sheriffs closed in on the lion and decided it posed too much of a danger, so they put it down. I can't help but wonder if it was maybe the same cat. Really sad.

Anyway, WLD, nice photos as usual, another area I haven't been to in decades. But I gotta wonder, as I look through your photo albums - who are all these lovely young ladies you seem to inveigle into going on your treks?

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply