Backpack fitting experts please help.

10:30 p.m. on May 24, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi,
My pack is 17 or 18 years old and now I'm that much more older then I used to be. It's a Kelty External. I decided to replace it with a new pack because of a comfort issue. Nothing is working for me so far. I tried a Nimbus Ozone internal, and a Kelty Super Tioga external. Both packs wanted to pull the load away from my back. It was as if there were a piano hinge at the bottom of the pack attached to my lower waist, and then the pack would tip back and pull off of my shoulders. I tried moving the heavy stuff (10 pound bear canister, four pound tent, 100 ounce water bladder)to the top near my back, then I put it in the middle close to my back, then I spread it out, and then I removed the heavy stuff completely. I must be doing something wrong. My old Kelty does'nt pull away like these new ones do. I ordered these online with REI, and thankfully they are great people but, it is starting to get very frustrating and expensive paying the shipping! I have another on the way and if it does not work I really don't know what to do. The one on the way is a Gregory Forester. Any suggestions before it gets here? Thanks.

Tim D.

10:56 a.m. on May 25, 2004 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts
Backpack fitting

While I have a bit of experience in the woods and hills, I won't really claim to be an expert. And I don't know the Nimbus Ozone.

However, fitting a backpack is like fitting boots. You really should do it in a shop that has experienced backpack fitters. Not all backpacks fit all people. For example, Dana's packs in the "large" size fit me like a glove, but I can't get Gregory packs to fit comfortably at all. I have friends who are just the opposite - Gregory fits them perfectly, and Dana is always uncomfortable. Another part of the picture is adjusting all the straps. With a lot of packs that have a plethora of straps, you have to adjust them in the correct order. But with some, you just start tightening and loosening in any random order and they fit just fine.

11:37 a.m. on May 25, 2004 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
check this out!

it's written for a specific pack, but very usefull.

http://www.trailstobuild.com/Articles/Backpack_fitting_guide.htm

12:05 a.m. on May 26, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Backpack fitting

Well, I forgot to mention that I don't carry any more then 37 pounds, and that includes the pack. It seemed to me that any pack should work with that amount of weight. If the Gregory that's on the way doesn't do the trick I will drive the 200 miles to the REI store.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply