About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Cabela's Outback Lodge Tent

10:13 a.m. on May 17, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Can anyone provide personal use feedback for the 6 or 8 man version of Cabela's Outback Tent? I'm a Scout leader and it appears to be a good alternative to a traditional dome tent with tarp ala Coleman/Alps Mountaineering. The specs show a 210 denier oxford floor along with 1500mm rated poly coating walls. One center pole, eight stakes, no tarp and relatively light weight for the size all fall under the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple Stupid!) It

5:28 p.m. on June 2, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hey, Richard-

I discovered your posting at trailspace.com today because I, too want to hear some feedback about the Cabela's Outback Lodge. We need another family tent, and I want something _easy_, durable and economical. I see that you're looking for something similar. Sooo...if I hear anything more (hopefully, that's credible) I will be sure to let you know.

Likewise, I'll be checking here to see if anybody has some info for you about that tent.

I can tell you that I used a Golite Hex 3 shelter (medium/small, very tipi-like configuration) and "nest" (their cute term for the all-in-one bug screen and floor liner) that only employs a center pole and guy lines, last Summer when I camped out for a month in extreme wind conditions. It was super, I'd use that thing again under any challenging conditions in a heartbeat. Haven't tried it yet for winter camping, but they say that it's swell for that, too.

Cabela's Outback Lodge seems to be operating on a similar principle (as you said, KISS), which could make it a similarly good thing. But of course, it's hard to know if the Cabela's tent is durable, easy, sufficiently water resistant, etc.

Best wishes; my Boy Scout camping days, in the Fifties, are among the very best memories of my life.

Sincerely,

B.E.B.(Wannacamp)

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply