Hat recommendations for dissapation of heat

5:38 p.m. on July 2, 2005 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi, I've just started hiking on a regular basis and would like some input on hats I might get to aleviate excess heat. I typically dislike hats, but a balding head and the summer heat in southern California desert like conditions now require it. I seem to generate a huge amount of heat from the top of my head and even the lightest of caps leaves my hair drenched completely. Can some of you recommend hats that you have experience with that could alleviate this specific situation. Thanks . . . Bill

5:47 p.m. on July 2, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Bill, I've used several different designs. One of my favorites was a cotton "French Foreign Legion" style hat with the flap on the back. I also have a Tilley that is popular with sailors--looks like a white cotton cowboy hat. There are copies of it around too. There are a lot of others made with various synthetics. What I like about the Tilley is that you can wet it down and get some cooling from evaporation. You definitely want something. I don't do real well in very hot weather so I make sure I always have a hat, even on short day hikes around LA.

7:56 a.m. on July 3, 2005 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

As a distance runner living in Orlando, Fl, I can offer a suggestion....

go to your local running store and get a light colored hat designed for running.

It helps keep swet outta your eyes and is made of mesh to let the heat outta your head.

10:18 a.m. on July 3, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I use a hat made by a company called Sunday Afternoons. Weird name, but great light weight hat for the sun. I backpack regularly and it can be wadded up in my pack and come out looking fine. Broad brim and lots of vent holes on top, long back tail that can be velcroed up to wear with a pack. I can scoop water with it to dunk my head and it dries quickly. It looks kind of funny at first but it is way functional, using a special UV blocking fabric.

10:21 a.m. on July 3, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts
10:33 p.m. on July 15, 2005 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

You might try a page from the "Ray Way" and use an umbrella with a reflective material. I haven't made the jump yet, but another week or so of 110+ weather in AZ and I'll have to ditch the hat (Tilley) for the better shade and ventilation the umbrella can offer. Steve

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply