jacket decision: 2.5 vs. 3 layer

2:16 p.m. on May 19, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

my patagonia jacket recently delaminated and patagonia graciously provided me with a gift card to replace it with.

i am tempted by the grade vi (3 layer) and the jetstream (2.5 layer) jackets. i am inclined to choose the jetstream however i am unfamiliar with the track record of 2.5 layer fabrics. is the only difference weight and bulk (and cost) or might i encounter unforeseen nuisances?

thanks.

10:53 a.m. on May 21, 2006 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Brian:
I have a three layer (Patagonia Stretch Element.) I opted for the 3 layer because I wear layers under it that have zippered pockets that I thought could rub and potentially damage the laminate of a 2.5 layer. I sacrificed lighter weight for durability. I have found that I like the feeling of a 3 layer more as well.
Good luck
Doug

11:42 a.m. on May 21, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have last year's Patagonia Grade VI and its a great jacket for the weight. Seems that 3 layers are supposed to be more durable than regular 2 or 2.5 layers. Honestly, I don't even know what 2.5 is supposed to mean but my Grade VI is a tough jacket for the weight. (10.8oz on mine)

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply