another new member

3:13 p.m. on June 22, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

i live and hike in Indiana, and do a couple of long trips a year out west, how about the rest of you

9:06 p.m. on June 22, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Well, a number live in the eastern half of the continent, from New England (Dave, the owner of the site, is a Maine Yankee, well, in Maine, anyway) to Florida (Ed is the primary Floridian, in charge of hurricanes and alligators). A number live on the Left Coast (Jim S in Oregon, Bill S and Terrible Tom in California, for example), and everywhere in between, including a few Canadians, Minnesotans, Indianans, and the odd Australian (Macca, among others) and resident of Japan (Tokyo Bill, who is an occasional visitor). A worldly group, and many travel about to get into the hills and woods.

6:07 a.m. on June 23, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I keep telling ya over and over Bill, I'm not a Floridian. I just live here.

I'm a Pittsburgher. A proud Alumnus of Slippery Rock State Teachers College in Slippery Rock, Pa.

Bluesky, welcome to the club!

12:40 a.m. on June 26, 2006 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts
Floridians

Since all people who live in Florida are from elsewhere (except for a few remaining Seminoles), you are as close to being the token Floridian here as we're gonna get, Ed. Hey, I'm not a Californian, either. Born and bred in a small Indian village in Arizona. Whatever, I'm here now, at least for a little while, until the western half of the state falls into the Pacific.

4:11 a.m. on June 26, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Re: Floridians

there sure are a lot of younger folks who have been born in Florida during the last 22 years that would find your statement a tad offensive. :)

7:09 a.m. on June 26, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

and if I could edit that last post, I would have put a smiley face at the end to indicate it was not meant to sound as harsh as it does.

2:37 p.m. on June 26, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I am also from Indiana. Where abouts do you do your hiking? I have been hitting up the Tecumseh Trail lately. In fact just yesterday I hiked the 10-mile Low Gap Trail and it sure did feel like an Indiana summer.

11:53 a.m. on June 27, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

mostly Deam Wilderness, but I've hiked Two Lakes, far south Indiana also Morgan/Monroe

12:19 p.m. on June 27, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I am from the Bloomington area and all of those hikes are very close. I have looked at the Deam Wilderness hikes before but have never been out that way. How are the trails out there? I always knew there were a lot of places to hike around here but I never realized just how many great trails are right at my back door.

7:57 p.m. on June 27, 2006 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Oh, really? Born there? I thought all the under-22 crowd in Florida were just there on Spring Break. At least, that's what the media tells us (insert LOL face here).

But, back to the Original Poster's question -

There are people who post and lurk here who are residing (at least temporarily) all over the continent and in a few other countries, plus at least a few who have backpacked, camped, climbed, bicycled, and other outdoor activities in probably every state in the US and Mexico and province in Canada. Just ask and you probably will get an opinion (even if you ask about someplace where no one has hiked).

Oh yeah, beware - a lot of what is posted is in good humor - like reminding our token Floridian to pitch his hammock out of reach of the alligators (insert winky smiley here)

11:04 a.m. on June 28, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hey Hoosier, I've hiked most of the Deam and it's pretty cool ,the only problem is that it is also open to horse riders which is really not a problem except if it has rained the the trails become MUD-SUCKING-BOOT-REMOVERS ,you get my drift, there is a small loop trail for hikers only but there is a hidden cave (Patton) and water front camping on the Peninsula Trail.
If you get a chance stop by thebackpacker.com web site ,I'm oldog there , and have hiked with several others from there

11:07 a.m. on June 28, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

HEY,Bill S and Ed G knock it off ,or I'm taking my hiking boots and going home

11:41 a.m. on June 28, 2006 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Gotta warn you Bluesky, neither Bill S or myself respond very well to being told what to do! :)

Stick around. You'll be glad you did

We all are friends who like to yank each others chains now and then.

I bet it drives Dave crazy sometimes.

11:56 a.m. on June 28, 2006 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Wait, no, bluesky! Take your boots, get away from the keyboard, and go hiking. That's what I'm going to do this afternoon.

Let's all get out and go hiking, right now!

1:40 p.m. on June 28, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Cool ,see ya at the trail head! Who's bringing the Platypus of Crown-Royal

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply