Paint Thinner Stove?

12:46 p.m. on September 5, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm looking for a stove that can burn paint thinner. Any recommendations?

Thank you :)

12:34 a.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

There are paint thinners and paint thinners. Several stoves have been mentioned on this site that burn methylated spirits, which is used in some home made stoves, and others that burn mineral spirits. Some cautions in using such fuels have also been mentioned.

Which paint thinner are you interested in?

9:57 a.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

Toluene? Methyl ethyl ketone? Mineral spirits?

A lot of things have been used as paint thinners. Although they may burn, and in some cases burn well in a stove, the problem is compatibility with the seals used in the stove. Some solvents would dissolve or damage the seal materials that are commonly used.

3:36 p.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

This is automotive paint thinner. I have a friend who has over 200 gallons.

Thank you for such speedy replies :)

8:05 p.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

"This is automotive paint thinner." Which is what? I have a vague recollection that it is MEK, but I could be wrong (haven't painted a car recently). Chumango, didn't you post a warning about MEK and negative health effects recently?

9:15 p.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I don't think I did, but it is a pretty strong solvent, and would not be my choice for use in a stove. If it is indeed MEK, I could check my corrosion compatibility charts at work tomorrow. It is probably pretty hard on many materials used for seals, in addition to the health issues.

Generally, the better and more durable the paint, the stronger the thinner has to be, so it is likely a potent solvent. Car paint ranks up there.

JohnAlan, could you ask your friend to read the label and identify the composition?

10:12 p.m. on September 6, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
58 forum posts

wouldn't it be more cost effective over the long run to just buy a stove and some white gas. the paint thinner is going to destroy the stove in half the time that it would wear out with normal fuel. white gas is not that expensive and it is probably a much safer fuel to use in many ways. if you end up using paint thinner you will have to clean your stove much more often than you would with white gas. read this review about burning paint thinner in your stove http://www.trailspace.com/gear/primus/gravity-mf/review/8112/

November 25, 2014
Quick Reply