who's looking forward to the MSR Reactor?

5:43 a.m. on January 5, 2007 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

here is an section of an article on the stove off of this site...

http://www.trailspace.com/news/2006/08/11/msr-reactor.html

what do y'all think?

12:47 p.m. on January 5, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

I was lucky enough to be able to test a prototype of the Reactor last month. It's a very different stove that mostly lives up to MSR's claims. We'll be publishing a comparative review of the Reactor, the Jetboil GCS, and Jetboil PCS in the next couple weeks. Stay tuned...

11:05 p.m. on January 5, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

Not sure I am a fan of disposable fuel tank and the avaialabilty of fuel/price control. Also I read somewhere that, while it boils faster than jetboil, it consumes more fuel to do so. So, net out, they both boil the same amount of water with the same fuel, the Reactor just does it quicker. I have lots of time when at the campsite. I kind of like counting the bubbles at the bottom of the "watched pot" that takes longer to boil

The pros seem to be its capabilities in the wind and the "lack of" typical pump/primer hardware. Fewer things to break down. I cannot comment on the Alpine aspects as it would not apply to me.

8:55 p.m. on January 20, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Our comparison of the Reactor and the Jetboil stoves was posted earlier this week:

http://www.trailspace.com/news/2007/01/17/integrated-canister-stove-showdown.html

10:42 a.m. on January 22, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

Wow, great comparison!

I've timed my MSR pocket rocket and seemed to get around 3 to 4 minutes for a liter of water to boil (can't recall specific times). Bet its wind performance doesn't compare at all...

Thanks,

-Brian in SLC

11:19 a.m. on January 22, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Thanks Brian. I put my MSR Superfly through the same tests. In the 8 mph wind, its performance was abysmal. After 15 minutes on full burn it had only raised the water temperature to 93°F, burning 54 grams of fuel (a quarter of a canister!) in the process.

An interesting thing about the Reactor: its design makes it perform better when exposed to the weather *and* safer to use inside a tent (more contained flame, less combusion).

12:45 p.m. on January 22, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

You out this way end of this week? Maybe see ya 'round?

-Brian in SLC

9:45 a.m. on January 23, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Yeah, we'll be getting in late Thursday.

11:50 p.m. on January 26, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

There was an independent reveiw listed on Backpacker.com.

The biggest advantage with the reactor was the low amount of time needed to boil water in the wind.

That was about the only advantage that I saw.

It is heavier. As well MSR is very proud of it to the tune of $140.00. I paid $80.00 for my Jetboil.

-John

11:15 a.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Dave;
Would love to see you guys throw the Primus ETA Power into the mix here. Perhaps a supplimental comparison to the Jet boils and MSR ???

10:21 p.m. on February 25, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts
Re: ETA Power

As soon as I'm able to get my hands on an ETA Power, I'll be doing testing for a follow-up.

12:32 a.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
76 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

A few good things I can tell about the Reactor over the Jetboil are the use of regular MSR fuel canisteres, I notice towards the end of the jetboil canisters they loose there pressure unlike the tried and true MSR canisteres. Also the reactor is sealed off to wind and dirt. My question is why don't they do these models in Ti?

7:38 a.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

why can't you use regular MSR fuel cans with the Jetboil?

8:56 a.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

You can use MSR canisters with the Jetboil, but only the 4 oz Jetboil canisters nest inside the PCS pot for storage. The Reactor has a pressure regulator, which gives you fairly constant output throughout the life of any canister.

The Jetboil, Reactor, and ETA Power pots are all made from anodized aluminum, which transfers heat more efficiently than titanium. Fuel efficiency is the name of the game with all three stoves, and titanium would defeat that purpose. It would save a little weight initially, but on long trips you'd have to carry a bit more fuel.

12:13 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Ed, I have used all 3 sizes of canister with my Jetboil. The problem you encounter is with fitting the larger canisters inside the kit, as Dave pointed out. You can fit the fold-up plastic base on all 3 diameters of canister (the tiny one that Jetboil and Snowpeak make, the Primus diameter, and the large diameter MSR/Markill/some others canister. It took me a while before discovering just how to line up the canister bottom to the notches in the stand for the Primus diameter canisters (it is offset on one side), but the smallest and largest diameter ones fit pretty obviously in their slots.

Jetboil told me at the OR Show that they are considering providing a larger capacity canister.

12:41 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I just got my jetboil couple weeks ago.

I was in Florence, S.C. on business and found an outfitter store. Guy there suggested that if I don't care if the fuel can fits inside the pot (which I really don't) that the MSR 100g can was great for providing stability to the jetboil.

I'll actually be using Camping Gaz 270 and 470 fuel cans with my Jetboil for a while to come.

1:01 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Ed -
Since the Jetboil is made for the industry standard *threaded* connector, and the Gaz 270/470 is NOT threaded (though the same diameter nipple), I think we will all be curious about how well this works. AFAIK, the only stove on the market that can couple to both types of connector without leaks is the MSR SuperFly.

I suggest being vary careful of leaks!

2:22 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Bill, I'm finding that using Camping Gaz cans with a Markill Valve Cartridge Adapter works very well.

I too was concerned about possible gas leaks and submerged the can, with adapter attached, in my pool. No air bubbles were produced.

A while back I posted the link where I purchased the adapter. Here it is again:

http://store.securehosting.com/stores/sh205601/shophome.php?itemkeyw_%25%25=markhill

5:27 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Ed -
Forgot about that. I still haven't gotten by Redwood Trading Post to see if they had them in stock.

7:06 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Bill, I truly appreciate your offer to help.

I did give Redwood a call and they had no idea what I was looking for.

You would think that in this day of commerce, someone in the U.S. would sell the thing.

The folks in the UK have plenty in stock and at a decent price. Shipping is as much as the adapter :)

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply