Elite Ultrarunner Karl Meltzer will attempt to run the AT under 47 days!

10:47 a.m. on May 22, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Starting on August 5th on the summit of Mt. Kathadin, Elite Ultrarunner from Utah, Karl Meltzer, will attempt to break Andrew Thompson's thru-hike record of 47 days 13 hours, 31 minutes. Check Karl's BIO at karlmeltzer.com to prove his worthiness. We'll have realtime tracking every 10 minutes throughout the entire run/hike. The resume proves he's tough, but can he make it happen? Spearheaded by Backcountry.com, and other sponsors, the world will be able to watch Karl suffer as he makes his way rapidly towards Springer Mt. -Speedgoat Karl

11:19 a.m. on May 22, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

Ahh yes ... a fully supported slack-packing trail runner .... the ultimate expression of the backcountry experience.
A bit of advice? Watch the rock gardens in PA -

9:14 p.m. on May 23, 2008 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

The only regret I have about my AT thru-hike in 2004 is that I did not go slower and take in the sites more. While I was hiking, I was passed by a man "Running the Trail". At the time I thought it was a crazy pointless idea, now, I understand. If your passion is running, why not do it somewhere beautiful? Why run in the suburbs when you can run through the mountain tops? I say go for it Karl! Run your own hike! Happy trails

12:24 a.m. on May 24, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

It always freaks me out a little when people talk about themselves in the third person.

1:17 a.m. on May 24, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

That happens during supermarathon running distances - you detach and view yourself from out-of-body.

11:18 a.m. on May 25, 2008 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

The problem is that he wasn't running an ultra when he posted here.

1:57 a.m. on May 26, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
408 forum posts

All right Karl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4N8LE66nSY

You are iron like a lion in Zion...(next time sub 8).

Ran into Jared at the hardware store today, and he bent my ear a tad...

Good luck on the AT! Say hi to Annapolis Rocks for me, neat spot with some crazy steep climbing and great views.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply