Different bag for summer winter?

4:28 a.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Hey, some mates are organising a trip to kilimanjaro and i have a 0ºC sleeping bag, i was wondering if instead of buying another bag i could just buy a blancket and not close the bag. Is it worth it buying a new bag for 1 trip?

10:54 a.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,130 forum posts

I use a 20 degree down bag and use a wool blanket sewn together the long side and bottom over the bag. I have used it down to -2 F with no problem in a tent with a sleeping pad. So a 0 f bag would probably work about -20. How cold might it get?

11:59 a.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

i dont really know the guys had it all planned out and it was like a suprise or something. Do you use a tent + a sleeping bag or just a lighweight tent to keep bugs and rain away?

10:20 p.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Quick response on Kili (since I am spending a bit of time venturing out into serious snow currently (back inside for a couple nights, before driving home). Look at my report on Africa and Kili in the news report section of this website.

Since I was going to hike Kili after our photosafari, I took my -40 bag. It was definitely too warm, although the temperatures at high camp were around 10F. You are required to hire local guides, porters, cook, who provide the tents. Once at the first camp, you are above the bugs, and it starts getting cool at night (lots of rain the first day through the rainforest, though, with sleet and snow for the next 2 or 3 camps, depending on the route). Your 0 degree bag will be just fine, with a sleeping pad (the local guide service will loan or rent you a pad if you wish to cut down on what you carry on the airline).

You carry very little yourself, with the required porters carrying virtually everything except your rainger, lunch, water, and camera.

In town, your hotel will have sleeping nets to surround your bed. But you do need to take your antimalarial medicine diligently and use repellent while in town.

10:24 p.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,130 forum posts

Sounds like the old Tarzan movies I watched as a kid and wondered about all the porters carrying the supplies. All the hunter/explorers had were their guns and binoculars.
Kilimanjaro sounds cool! Is it true the glaciers are almost all gone on top?

7:36 a.m. on January 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

i dont know. I've been in switzerland a while now and i've hiked thru glaciers and its just wonderful i'll take pictures and post them here. thanks about the bag advice but i like to carry my bag and stuff myself so i guess porters shouldnt really be necesary.

10:47 a.m. on January 3, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

To repeat, by Tanzanian law, you are required to hire local guides, porters, and cooks to go into Kilimanjaro park and hike up the hill. You will have to check in at the entrance gate, each camp (you must stay at the official campsites), and check out at the exit gate (may be the same gate, though most people do a loop). Many of the African countries, especially the ones trying to preserve their animal habitat, have strict regulations like this, as do other countries like Nepal.

I am used to carrying all my own gear, as are most climbers. But they restricted me to 10 kilo.

2:38 a.m. on January 5, 2009 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

I believe in a liner-type inner bag. I use an REI Kilo Flash 40F bag that I use inside my Marmot Helium 15F when things get really cold, the combination of which could probably take me very comfortably to -10F, weighing 3lb 4oz in total, wearing my Patagonia Cap3's and an R4 fleece, smart wool trekking socks, and a fleece beenie to sleep. This is on a full-length z-rest under a 3/4 length EMS 1" thick self-inflatable pad, both 20" wide. This is also based on my experiences using my double wall Marmot Citadel tent and MSR Missing Link.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply