Condensation question

6:40 a.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

I usually open all vents and the outside part of my tent to solve most of my condensation problems, however during the colder months (temps from -10c to +0c) the inside of the tent gets very cold due to the amount of ventilation I have, it stops condensation on the walls but I am finding condensation on the outside of my sleeping bag.

Is this the heat generated by me hitting the cold outer of the bag?

Does anyone know how to combat this? would an extra layer or liner inside my bag reducing the amount of heat getting through help? a thicker sleeping bag!?, sleeping colder!?

I know eliminating it is impossible.

Any tips for a beginner!?

10:22 p.m. on January 2, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

The condensation on your bag is your own perspiration venting through the insulation and condensing on the outer shell. The only way to prevent it is to use a VBL. But some people find this uncomfortable.

8:37 p.m. on January 16, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

The condensation on your bag is your own perspiration venting through the insulation and condensing on the outer shell. The only way to prevent it is to use a VBL. But some people find this uncomfortable.

This is my understanding too. It's probably not a big deal though on a short trip.

The bigger question for a longer trip is does your bag get heavier after this happens. If so then some of the moisture is condensing inside the bag's insulation and this could eventually reduce it's insulation power. (Unless you can dry it out each morning.) That's where the VBL (Vapor Barrier Layer) comes in.

[EDIT] I just realized you're talking about degrees C so it's probably not cold enough to be a problem.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply