U.S. made hiking boot?

11:20 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I am looking for a quality U.S. made hiking boot for the summer heat and humidity that we have here in Texas. I have been looking online for a while and have only seen a couple of brands that are sold that are made in the U.S. I am going to use the boot to persue photography. Which is a hobby I am into. Should I go with a "Desert Boot" from Danner or would a hiking boot be a better choice. I'm not really all that crazy about a high top boot. Something more along the lines of a mid top would be better I think. But most of the mid top hikers that are U.S. made are all leather with not as much breathability. I am not going to be hiking miles and miles a day or over mountains or anything like that. I just want a boot that is going to last a long time since this is going to be a one time investment. I was also wondering about the wicking away ability of Gore tex vs. Dri lex. Thanks for letting me know. I really appreciate the advice.

10:42 a.m. on February 20, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I don't have a lot of advice as I live in the upper midwest. However, gore tex boots will be hot as the wicking/breathable traits are just overblown advertising bits.

12:59 a.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Shane--

Good luck. Sounds as if you've already done all the research I might suggest. Just off the top of my head, I'd be skeptical there are very many hiking boots made here in the U.S., just 'cause of labor costs being so much lower elsewhere. That said, I'm with you in spirit.

Also, I might have to differ, respectfully, with Alan just a wee bit on the Gore-Tex issue. I've got two pairs of boots, one heavier and used in cooler weather on through winter, and another lighter pair that's my summer boot. Both are leather, both GT lined, but the one is much lighter. (The summer boots are a Merrell model, don't recall the name.) My feet do get sweaty, but not horribly so, and I like being able to step into shallow streams, etc., and not have my feet soaked. (And I find that the Gore-Tex works very well at keeping my feet dry inside the boot.) That all said, if you're in West Texas, there may not be enough water on the ground to matter 90% of the time.

I guess like a lot of things, personal preference and use make a lot of difference. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck with your search.

1:35 a.m. on February 24, 2009 (EST)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I don't have much to say about boots for your specific purpose, but I am a loyal buyer of Danner boots, which is to say I've bought two pairs in my life. I've been wearing one daily for 6 years and the only visible wear is to the laces and the tag.

They're G-tex, but they also have a bit of thinsulate, so they get a bit warm in the summer.

At any rate, Danner makes the best boots I have ever owned.

1:18 p.m. on April 2, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I wanted one with the Norwegian sole/stitching, so I went with Danner. Solid boot, old fashioned hiker. (I bought the light hiker II). I have looked at the fancy schmancy stuff. I find I am always drifting old-school.

I went to the Danner factory in Portland, OR, and bought their 2nds from the factory. I paid about $100?ish for 200+ boots. I have to be careful with my feet, have tried several boots, and these work fine for me.

2:11 p.m. on April 3, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

As far as US made boots are concerned, you might try looking at Georgia Boot. I have been using their "logger" boots for trail maintenence for two years in the backcountry in the summer, and despite being full leather, they fit like a charm and have never given me troubles. They breathe very well in 100+ degree weather, as long as you change socks every now and then. (The ones in my profile pic)

For your uses in Texas, you might check out their "Renegade" line, I'm guessing that those would probably suit your purpose adequately.

I myself am an avid photographer, and have one suggestion: If you plan to just be bringing a light backpack and your camera on your trekks, you should consider just wearing plain ol' running shoes, as they provide most of the the grip, and stabalization of a boot without the associated weight and cost factor, and for most photo-taking purposes work absolutely great for day/weekend hikes.

If you are however, going to consider going longer distances with a fairly heavy load, boots are probably going to be your best bet,

Best of luck!

8:33 p.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Like LeTiger I have almost always worn logger or military boots in the woods except for a pair of VASQUES heavy hikers many years ago.

Whites, Danners, Georgia and a couple others will do you just fine.

If you have the bucks have a pair made for you, you'll never regret it.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply