The first step is admitting...

2:35 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

...you have a problem.

I was just getting the gear out for a trip to Shenandoah this weekend and discovered 9 packs. between my wife and I we have NINE PACKS. granted there are day packs hydration packs overnight packs and week long expedition packs but...

While I am at it. I need to admit to my boot issue as well. I have 6 pair of hiking boots. Ok, so, the REI attack sale(if you have been to one you understand why it is spelled that way); I can't help myself when I see a pair of nice Asolo or Montrails for 20 or 30 bucks. I figure I will need them someday... but still SIX pair!

My tent situation is not as bad but why do I have FOUR of them?

Am I alone in this tendency to collect these things?

2:41 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Oh shoot! You are counting your hydration (day packs) as well? That puts me up to 11 (of course I do have 2 kids, they account for 4 of the packs). 5 tents (the wife says if we lose the house, at least we have somewhere to stay). 10 sleeping bags. I think I have a problem as well.

2:48 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

Guess thats what happens when one is settled down. I have never stayed in one place longer than a few months whether working or travel/camping. I do have two tents, a Golite Hex 3 and a North Face Oval Intention. I have two day packs, a Jansport ski touring pack and a old 27 year old North Face rucksack. I have one sleeping bag a Golite Featherlight and a thermarest pad. One stove, a Pocket Rocket and a little 1 quart pot.

But I can imagine if I were settled down, I have had 12 tents, 7 packs, 5 sleeping bags, 4 sleeping pads, 6 stoves and 4 cook pot sets since 1977.

I am living in my tent as I usually do when I am working or not.

5:09 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

You guys are still in the minor leagues.

5:14 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

Why Alan, how much stuff do you have?

5:26 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Truth is, I don't actually know. I started cleaning the garage yesterday - 7 coleman 2 and 3 burner stoves, 4 optimus 111's (different models), a big box of other gas and kerosene stoves, a big box of canister stoves, more lanterns than I realized I had (maybe a dozen), enough cookware to feed an army battalian; soft goods are in the basement, I've got to work on that room when I finish the garage. Maybe a dozen bags, at least that many tents, probably 50 packs if I include day packs. If If dig far enough I may find Jimmy Hoffa amidst the mess.

6:07 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

You know they have meds for that now alan? (just joking, as always)

Of course I have to admit I'm the same way with expensive power tools. One for this, one for that......

7:16 p.m. on May 15, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

Alan, Maybe you could start a backpacking travel company. And Jimmy could be the leader, he'd like that!

7:56 a.m. on May 16, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

My wife says I have gas. No, not THAT kind. You know, GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome!

9:29 a.m. on May 16, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

It's perfectly "normal", just take two Aspirins and ship your spare packs to me.........

I have sold three "expedition" packs in the past year and now have only ten packs of my own, I have five Mystery Ranch packs alone.

I have seven pairs of highend mountain boots, including a pair of custom Van Gorkums that cost, well.......

I have a room STUFFED with highend gear and this includes two Hilleberg tents, two I.D. tents, a Kifaru 8-man tipi, with all the accessories plus large stove, three ID bives and several assorted silny. tarps.

Snowshoes, trekking and ski poles, fishing rods, axes, enough highend guns to start a GOOD small gunstore and now a 4x4 in process of being customized to exactly what I want in a serious light bush truck. I still need an Alpacka raft and a "few" other things.........

I thought "everybody" was like this, well, Doctor, are you saying that most people are "saner"............

WTH, ya only live once!!!

10:40 p.m. on May 16, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

We built the new house because we could no longer fit our gear in the old house, despite Young Son having moved to another state.

6:46 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I guess most of us collect STUFF I try not to but I do anyway.Ill have to admit on the double or triple or more gear issue I am guilty as well and its just me, myself & I. I try to keep my inventory low but some how it just keeps collecting mostly because I just have a hard time passing up a good deal.

I have
5 Packs
4 Sleeping Bags
3 Cook Set's
4 Stove's
3 Utensil Set's

And the list doesn't stop there in total total a hole bunch of STUFF that most of the time I don't use.

6:57 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I use at least once per year every piece of equipement that I own. I make myself do it. I find I am always outfitting others to go backpacking or car camping with my wife and I. So, although I have multiples of everything, everything is used.

7:29 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Any of you want to let go of a light bag that compresses small? I have everything now except that and water filter.

8:05 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I have a Feathered Friends Overbag, G/T shell and down and made before FF quality slumped. It is as new, except the shell has been seamsealed and is teal and purple. It weighs just under 2 lbs., takes a T-rest type pad in a bottom sleeve and is good to freezing or, for me, 20*F.

I am only parting with it as it is 62" girth and regular length and has a partial right zipper, it is just a tiny bit too snug for me in the shoulders as I am built like a Neanderthal.

If, interested, it is yours for $175.00 USD shipped to Canada or the Lower 48 and the new T-rest I bought 2 years ago and have never used is an additional $50.00 USD, if you want both.

This bag is VERY fine, right up there with WM, ID and Valandre and I OWN and USE all of these, so, my opinion is not based on catalogue surfing.

If, interested, e-mail me a wodaxe@msn.com

11:27 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

I use at least once per year every piece of equipement that I own. I make myself do it. I find I am always outfitting others to go backpacking or car camping with my wife and I. So, although I have multiples of everything, everything is used.

Yeah, Barb does that, too. Sometimes this means taking a sleeping bag that hasn't been used in months, even if it isn't the best choice for the trip. She can't visit REI or Marmot (the Berkeley store) without getting another jacket or footgear (at least she isn't in the same footgear league as Imelda Marcos!). We manage to use all 26 stoves during each year, too, except for the now obsolete Bleuet 200 series and the Wanderer we can't get the 100 series canisters for anymore (we have a few of each that we can't bring ourselves to burn off, having this fool idea that someday these obsolete stoves might come in handy). Tom's going to be in the same boat with his Coleman X someday soon ;)

12:16 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Hello,

My name is Second Gear, and I shop at REI...and online..and well, I have a problem...

2:39 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

I personally have 7 and a half pairs of skis and 5 pairs of (functional) boots here in Norway, at least three more pairs of skis back in VT, plus a new complete rando rig waiting for me to pick up at a friends house in VT. Adding in my wife's and kids' skis we have at least 19.5 pair of skis hanging up in the basement plus a couple of pair of the kids' old skis and a box full of kids boots waiting to be sold here in my office, and I don't know how many more old pairs hanging in the barn in VT.

I can't begin to compete on the backpack and tent front, but also hanging in the barn in VT is my >30 year old North Face Wrapac, with the leather patch that holds the shoulder straps on Z-stitched with a Speedy stitcher after I tore it nearly in half when it was piggybacked on a huge load of tools on a freighter frame that fell over with part of the Wrapac hooked on a tree when I was doing trail work for the forest service, and the original cotton back panel (rotted out) replaced by an old nylon gaiter, painstakingly hand-stitched in during my 1981 ultralight (no stove or tent) adventure on the John Muir and High Sierra trails. Haven't used it in 20 years, but the only way I can see finally parting with it is to give it a marble headstone with an appropriate epitaph. And so much more old gear, with stories to go with it. If gear could talk!

Old gear never dies, it just....

3:15 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

...Accumulates

8:45 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

BigRed said:

...Accumulates

Amen to that brother...

8:48 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

BigRed said:

...Accumulates

... and takes over the closet, then the spare room.

Somewhere in there, I have a desk and a file cabinet.

10:52 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Sad to say, I think I can top almost anyone's flashlight / headlight collection... I seem always to misplace them right before I leave and buying yet another one to have light on a trip. Inevitably only to return home to find that the flashlight gnomes return it back to the kitchen table, night stand, bathroom floor, etc. from whereever they hid it. IMHO, Those guys are much worst that the cousins the car key gnomes...
I seriously have ~20 cheap headlamps and flashlights... no telling how many the gnomes still have....

10:56 a.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I try and use as much gear as I can and to alternate what I take on trips. This past weekend I used a Borde Bomb stove along with the Sigg Tourist kit made for that stove. Also used an Early Winters Light Dimension gore tex tent and a Class 5 down bag. Next trip I'll use something else. Eventually I'll sell off some of the excess, just got to decide what to keep and what to sell.

12:08 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

Sad to say, I think I can top almost anyone's flashlight / headlight collection...

Years ago, Radio Shack used to give away free flashlights, some completely free, some "with purchase". All were pretty cheap, ranging from 6 D-cell on the large side to various handled ones, to more or less average sized 2 C-cell sized. I gave about a dozen of these to Goodwill when we were moving out of the house in preparation for the house rebuild, but still have over a dozen. Plus we still have 6 or 7 MiniMAG lights of the 2 AA cell size, 3 of the single AA cell and 3 of the AAA cell size, 5 headlamps in good condition for me and 4 for Barb, several "clip" lights, and innumerable tiny "squeeze" LED lights. Some of the MiniMAG lights were acquired "free" (one in a "driver's set" that included an electronic tire pressure gauge and a couple other things for taking a test drive in a Lexus). LNT is currently giving away Petzl e+LITEs (great, tiny headlamp) with your renewal or joining, so we got 2 with this year's renewal for the 2 of us. Gotta count the 4 "emergency" lights (the kind that plug into the wall to keep the battery charged, then turn on automatically in a power failure) and the 2 in the two motor vehicles and the clip-on headlamp for the bicycles.

Naw, I think there are a few folks out there who easily top the 20 or 30, or maybe even 50 flashlight and headlamp collections. And that's not counting my carbide caving headlamp or the 40+ year old electric mining/caving headlamp with the metal battery case that holds 6 C-cells (don't use it any more, since it only lasts for 8 hours on a set of batteries and is nowhere near as bright as even my tiny eLITE).

And, yes, I sometimes get out on a trip without any sort of electric torch. But then, who really needs one?

12:31 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I did without for almost all of my 50+ years of hiking and still do not know how to operate a GPS or any of the supposedly "essential" electronic gizmos that are currently available. But, I am a northern/western Canadian former working bushman and stay in my home region, where I know what I am doing.

That said, the ONE "high tech" item I REALLY DO like is/are the new LED flash and head lights. In Grizzly country, as with the last fatazz old shaggy hobo I encountered, these are just SO useful late at night and I carry two Petzl Tikka XPs and a Petzl flashlite and will not be without them, now.

I have a half dozen of those LED lanterns, as well, and I like these for keeping my base camp lit up at night, but, my favourite by far are my two "Outbound" candle lanterns similar to UCOS and these will HEAT my Hilleberg Saivo quite nicely...sooo, sometimes, "old tech" beats "high tech".......!

2:38 p.m. on May 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

LED lights are certainly one of those items that are head and shoulders better than the products they replaced. Once I got my first LED light I tossed or gave away all my conventional flashlights, except for my three Mallory lights which I keep as collectibles. My Mallory flashlight was the first small, lightweight flashlight I ever had. I guess I'm far too sentimental.

2:25 a.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

And, yes, I sometimes get out on a trip without any sort of electric torch. But then, who really needs one?

I used to do night hikes by cyalume, just enough diffuse, green light to light the next step, the circle of darkness is very close...

1:20 p.m. on May 20, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

We just invite a cousin, his wife, and thier 3 kids to go on a hiking/camping trip with us this weekend. They don't backpack, but we were able to tell them not to worry we have enough gear for everyone. I think we might even have extra after that. Its pretty bad when my 6 year old even owns more than one pack.

1:08 a.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Truth is, I don't actually know. I started cleaning the garage yesterday - 7 coleman 2 and 3 burner stoves, 4 optimus 111's (different models), a big box of other gas and kerosene stoves, a big box of canister stoves, more lanterns than I realized I had (maybe a dozen), enough cookware to feed an army battalian; soft goods are in the basement, I've got to work on that room when I finish the garage. Maybe a dozen bags, at least that many tents, probably 50 packs if I include day packs. If If dig far enough I may find Jimmy Hoffa amidst the mess.

Duuuuuude!!! Would you like to sell one of your 111's? I've ALWAYS wanted a 111 but never found one in working condition or anyone willing to part with one. You willin'? Pleeeeeeease! P'P'P'P'P'P'Pretty Pleeeeeease!

Thanky!

TJCeeJay

10:12 p.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Alan: As your first step of 12 in letting go: sell some of the Optimus 111's on EBAY. Do an Optimus search and realize old Optimus brass stoves are sought after collectables. There is an huge nostalgia market in what many people are now realizing were great stoves. (The current Optimus Nova is cooler still-----I can trade you new for old).

I am so sorry I let my old Optimus 111B (that saved our asses in the Hayes Range in 1975, when the MSR stoves died) get away from me in the early 80's. If you don't want the EBay experience: contact me for an easy sale. Ray

12:58 a.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

On the 12th day of hiking my true love gave to me....

3:45 a.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

On the 12th day of hiking my true love gave to me....

An Optimus 111B...

4:52 a.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Hmmmm... Let's see. What do I have lyin' aboot. eh? A 3500 cubic inch Eureka backpack. A MEC daypack. A half dozen water bottle fanny packs. From a bottle pocket and two itty bitty sleeves only, to one that you can camp out of for a one nighter. A couple of headlamps. Only the Tikka XP is worth mentioning. A Brunton Mantleless lantern. A bunch of pocket LED lanterns. Again, only the Black Diamond Orbit is worth any page space. Mini-Mags and their associated dollar store bretheren by the handfull. Gotta get the Luxeon LED upgrade for the Mini-Mags. Had five sleeping bags. Three of em got wrecked in a recent flood in the basement. Still have my Eureka -35 and my Snugpack Softie 3 Merlin. 2 pounds, good 'till freezing. My last tent got wrapped around a tree whilst I was out hiking. I don't mind that at all though. I have a Clark NX200/North American tent hammock now, and boys, I'll never intentionally sleep on the ground again. (Unless there are no trees or big rocks to which I can anchor the hammock, then...) What else I got? An old Coleman double burner, a JetBoil Helios, a JetBoil PCS/Flash. Three ground pads. A super thick, super comfy, super heavy self inflater from LeBaron. A super thin, super stretchy, super sticky, suprisingly good dollar-store ground-pad for tent-hammocking earlier this spring. And my newest, Pacific Outdoor - Peak OLY Lite. Niiiiice. About the only thing I'm missing is an Optimus 111. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

Later!

1:08 p.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hey, Obama would be proud of us. We are keeping the economy going. You can tell you have a gear problem when your dividend from REI is over $400. How did that happen? Where is all that "stuff" I bought?

12:21 p.m. on May 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I should clarify, I have four 111's but they are all different versions, none are duplicates.

111 - original, kerosene only version (roarer burner)

111B - white gas only version (roarer burner)

111T - triple fuel version, kero, gas and alcohol (silent burner)

111C - also triple fuel, but with newer cobra burner (silent burner)

I do not have the latest hiker + nor do I have the green military surplus version, but the day isn't over yet.

As I have no duplicates in the collection, none of these are for sale. These stoves are really heavy, but for canoe trips and winter trips with sleds they are great to use; stable, high heat, simmer heat and built like a tank.

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply