About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

First-Aid Kit Supplies

12:13 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

It seems like every backpacker I've known has a slightly different first-aid kit that they take out on the trail. What does everybody put in there own first aid kits?

12:31 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

If I carry one I put the following in my kit.

1 Compression Bandage (military surplus)
Alcohol Prep Pads
Super Glue (gel type)
Sting Kill
6 Band-Aids
2 Gauze Pads (2X2 - 4X4)
1 Small Roll of Gauze
Small Drug Bottle (8X Ibuprofen, 2X NyQuil tablets, 6X Imodium AD)

That's it for the most part

8:54 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Yeah what Mike said and safety pins/clips/tape, paracetamol, electrolytes and if you're out for a while throw in a broad spectrum antibiotic. I use a multi tool with knife, scissors and tweezers. I find a small first aid book to be invaluable.

10:55 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Mike, mine is similar to yours; like Paully I carry a first aid book. I add in personal meds , an antibiotic, and a roll of that tape used to wrap ankles. I carry the same kit for all hikes.

11:55 p.m. on August 17, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I always carry Gauze, band-aids, neosporin, antiseptic wipes, a small bottle of pain killers, safety pins, a mini first aid guide.

thats about all I can remember as of right now.

My friend carries a splint in the unfortunate occurance of a sprained ankle. Thank the lord we haven't had to use it yet!

12:28 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I for got to mention that I carry a small tube of neosporin and a tiny roll of tape as well. But I never carry a first aid guide, ace bandages, multi-tool, scissors, splints, safety pins, (antibiotic although its not a bad idea in the winter & spring)

As far as a splint you can use sticks, closed cell foam sleeping pads. For an ankle I normally where tall boots so I would just tighten up the laces. For an antiseptic I have used alcohol only for years.

11:12 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

I know my first aid guide can be of help. Yet, who can call a time-out for "research" when something bad happens. For instance, is it Heat Exhaustion or a Heat Stroke.

11:43 p.m. on August 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I know my first aid guide can be of help. Yet, who can call a time-out for "research" when something bad happens. For instance, is it Heat Exhaustion or a Heat Stroke.

I'm not saying a guide is a bad thing to have just I don't carry one.

12:20 a.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Been checking the devil site for Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine - Auerbach. I seem to always be cutting or jabbing something in my fingers. That's why I love tape, antibiotic ointment with pain reliever and super glue.

12:26 a.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

pub spears

Well stop doing things that are causing you to cut & jab your fingers. I know easier said than done. Proper knife skills may help it you are cutting your self with a blade and possibly a pair of mechanics work gloves will help with the rest.

1:01 a.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

I work in the cnc dept at a granite counter shop. Can't type in gloves and there's plenty of stuff in the shop to draw blood when I'm not programming. And I'm pretty stupid too. Managed to slop CLR into a fresh cut today. That smarts.

1:18 a.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

..... Managed to slop CLR into a fresh cut today. That smarts.

No doubt that hurt like he double tooth picks

8:44 p.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

.....and a small bottle of clove oil for tooth aches if I'm out for a very long time. A few years ago I was deep in the backcountry and a filling dropped out. That one thing made my time there absolute hell, I could only pack it as best I could and just deal with it. My dentist suggested clove oil, I've used it once since and it works. I was young and stupid then, I'm still stupid but I make sure to get a dental check before each big trip.

April 25, 2014
Quick Reply