Gaiters

2:46 p.m. on September 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

After a 3 day trip, I inspected all my gear. The strap that goes under the boot is wearing significantly. I think maybe 5 days max and the straps will wear through.

I don't know the brand right now but is anyone else experiencing this or have you found any ways to decrease the wear?

Thanks

Junkie

1:04 a.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
471 forum posts

I have some 'redhots' from a bye-gone era. I've replaced the cordage (usually 'parachute cord') many, many times. It is just a time expense not out of pocket. There are reinforced grommets on both sides that it threads through.

They don't wear as quickly if I stay on the hard water. It is the hard rocks and gravel that take a toll.

2:29 a.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I would try replacing the strap with wire. You can use braided cable or just a stiff wire or electrical wire. Anything you can tie in place or fasten somehow should work if you have grommets for it that won't cut into the gaiter itself.

7:18 a.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Para-cord works great, but because I travel in quite rocky terrain, I slip the cord through a short (3 inch) section of firm rubber or poly tubing first. Yeah, it eventually wears our too, but at least my ties don't fail as often.

Note: This is much more comfortable when wearing boots with a stiffer lugged sole and defined heel rather than flat-bottoms.

On older gaiters or ones w/ sewn buckles and straps, you can slip the strap through a section of tubular climbers webbing to protect the strap as well.

3:21 p.m. on September 30, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Cord is cheap and easy to replace but i like neoprene straps best.Very tough stuff and have had no problems with it,last years.I have heard others having stiching problems with OR gaiters but have several pair and have never had this issue.

3:58 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Awesome all! Thanks for the replies. I may replace with the wire or cord depending on terrain I do.

3:59 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I use a tiny, perfectly-sized bungee for one of my gaiters that is missing a cord. Hooks through both grommets and always stays put. Fancy? Nope. Perfect for the frugal (okay, cheap) side of me? Yep.

10:59 p.m. on October 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

I am on the 'frugal' side as well. I like the bungee idea though, thanks.

6:14 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I use shock cord -which replaced the original straps-4mm thick has lasted well and has the added benifit of giving a little flexibility

8:46 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

I know this a little off topic but I am in the market to buy a pair of Gaiters so what are some recommended brands and what should I look out for?

9:59 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,993 forum posts

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/outerwear/gaiters/

Gaiters come in different lengths and weights for different conditions and activities (short ones for summer trail running and hiking to full-on expedition ones). What will you use yours for?

Whatever ones you choose, make sure they'll fit well over the footwear you'll use with them.

10:42 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Try running your cord through a piece of tubular webbing, it's pretty tough.

I just bought a pair of wildline gore-tex gaiters and they're the bomb. They kept my feet dry after 9 days of slushing in the wet thundra. Probably overkill and expensive for most endeavors but money matters very little when you see your buddies trying to put on wet and frozen boots while yours are dry.

I've found cheap gaiters to be mostly disposable, lasting a few months before falling appart.

1:05 p.m. on October 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/outerwear/gaiters/

Gaiters come in different lengths and weights for different conditions and activities (short ones for summer trail running and hiking to full-on expedition ones). What will you use yours for?

Whatever ones you choose, make sure they'll fit well over the footwear you'll use with them.

I am doing 5 days on the AT in late December. Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam.

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply