Sigg Water Bottle Recall/Exchange

11:25 a.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

This is to let Sigg water bottle owners know that they can exchange their older water bottles(pre-August 2008)with newer ones for free. The older ones have the BPA chemical taint. Here's a link:

http://mysigg.com/bulletin/

But you have only till October 31st.

11:27 a.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts
1:20 p.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,148 forum posts

I did the required photo work and got my replacement bottle thru the Camelbak Steel of a Deal program too. So I will check the link you posted maybe I can get my other bottles replaced too.

5:56 p.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Yeah, I just sent back my four fairly new Siggs today but they won't be replaced in time for my next trip so I scrounged up two excellent HDPE quart containers which is about the same size of a liter Nalgene with the narrow mouth. Can they take boiling tea? Dunno.

8:27 p.m. on October 8, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I'm still a fan of the ole' HDPE myself. I have switched to aluminum, it is lighter, but I still like the feel and durability of the HDPE.

11:29 a.m. on October 24, 2009 (EDT)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Thanks for the above links. Time to get shipping!

12:33 a.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

There was never any real problems with the old ones, but just to be sure you can get a new SIGG Water Bottle pretty cheap. They have tons of styles, sizes and tops. I have a few of them and really like them. They are light and durable.

12:55 a.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts
12:00 p.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

While I have no problem with the elimination of BPA from plastics meant for containers for food/drink, etc., the threat should be placed in context. Trace BPA ingestion coming from eating/drinking from BPA-containing containers is just one identified example of how we eat bad stuff in trace amounts without realizing it. And most of us do much worse quite frequently. An example I encountered the other day is a common one.

After fueling a car, the driver returns to the driver's seat, and while pulling out of the gas station, he reaches into a bag of chips (with his unwashed hands), pulls out a few, and starts munching. Is there not one or more chemicals in gasoline that perhaps one should not ingest? Of course. Inhalation of city air on a hot summer day is as bad if not worse than taking a swig from an old Nalgene, would be my guess.

Yes, there's a threat from BPA. But for most, it's small and manageable. That said, it's obviously a good PR move for Sigg and other makers to freely replace BPA-tainted containers, especially in light of what could be called disingenuous prior behavior. Sigg sold A LOT of aluminum containers with the implicit premise that they were BPA free.

The BPA controversy reminds me a bit of the old concern that drinking too much from aluminum cans led (possibly) to Alzheimer's disease. Probably more reality to the BPA threat, but....

Also, another reminder: most of the canned goods on your shelf are probably nestled up against a BPA-containing can liner. I wouldn't be surprised if the special beer-can liner that keeps Keystone tasting good (assuming Keystone tastes good, just for discussion) contains BPA. I'm sure there are other examples.

Finally, I'll note that life is a dangerous activity. One hundred percent of participants end up dead.

2:03 p.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I missed replacing my Siggs and I agree with Perry on this. I only use my two Siggs for day hikes and have stainless and new Nalgenes for longer treks. I fill each Sugg with treated Vancouver water each time I use them, carry it, drink from them and rinse after using; most hikes are 4-6 hrs. and I seriously doubt that I will die from this, anytime soon. If, I do, well, " we are here for a good time, not a long time".

8:45 p.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Sigg really hooked me up with the exchange program. I sent in two bottles and they sent me four replacements.

I agree that the BPA levels were probably minimal in the first bottles, but it is always good to to reduce your exposure whenever you can.

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply