Amusing Sign

11:55 a.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Here's an amusing sign I thought topical with the endless "bears in the wilderness" "carrying a gun" etc. etc., topics on this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fi5herman/4038795064/

2:51 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,349 forum posts

I liked the last sentence about the bells and pepper...LOL

3:20 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Welcome rwd,

Learning can be fun huh!

4:28 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

As a former employee of the BC resource management agencies, I have mixed feelings about that particular sign. It tends, IMO, to give tourists the impression that the local Grizzlies are just big, furry, cuddlemuffins and can be safely approached to take photos and even petted........don't laugh, you have to SEE what people are like here when encountering large, wild animals up close........

Two experienced bushmen/hunters were ambushed and killed very close to that sign by a single Grizzly a few years ago and this is not given sufficient public exposure, IMHO. The sign is funny, but, I would prefer signs that very bluntly warn tourists NOT to approach bears for any reason and to leave an area where warm, fresh bear poop is found, asap.

5:20 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
596 forum posts

Dewey,

You said:

leave an area where warm, fresh bear poop is found, asap.

That is wrong! If you find fresh bear scat and no bear, then you are in the one spot that definitely doesn't have a bear! Once you move from that point - in any direction - you increase your chances of encountering the bear which left said poop.

Instead, you should camp right there. Place rolls of quilted, soft, toilet paper at ten foot intervals encircling the camp. Don't move. When you find a roll missing, break camp and head in the opposite direction at speed.

6:44 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

Yeah, I know, "Charmin", right?

7:00 p.m. on October 25, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
492 forum posts

I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb and make a guess that there is far less BC Resource Management Agencies Provincial Standard authorized green paint on that sign than there is Photo Paint.

But deep down inside I'd hope the Provincial and Federal Govm'nt would have that kind of a sense of humour. Apparently not.

Overmywaders, I found FRESH (still steaming) very large deposit of bear scat* on a trail just off from the top of a 13,200' pass in Colorado...well above tree line - just above Conundrum Hot Springs. It did prove a few things. First, I wasn't being very observant as I had had miles of unobstructed views of meadows in all directions for quite awhile - didn't see it. Second, I had heard from campfire talk that bears often use man made trails to get around if they lead where they want to go (look out bell ringers). Third and more important it finally puts to bed that old retort, "Do bears do it in the woods?"

*Note: It must have been a brown bear. Neither berries nor peppered bells.

6:29 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Don't believe the wording on that sign, it is very misleading and could get you in a lot of bad trouble!

There is a Field Test for determining the difference between Black Bear feces and Grizzly Bear feces.

The Grizz feces is very salty.

12:05 p.m. on October 30, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

The Grizz feces is very salty.

Mouhahahahaa! Nice...

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply