Bill S Questions about Antarctica

11:28 p.m. on December 14, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

I see from your member picture and have seen posts about you in Antarctica. Have you crossed the continent or at least skied backpacked to the pole? Can you tell us about your experiences down there? I don't think I will ever go except to try working at a station down there. Do you know anything about that sort of thing, about how to apply for a job at a Antarctic station? I am a cook by trade and have met at least one other who worked down there years ago. I guess it pays fairly well which could help me catch up on some debts. I have lived at the other end in Alaska during the winters in Anchorage as recently as three years ago in 2006.

8:36 a.m. on December 15, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,994 forum posts

Gary, Bill has an article on his Antarctica trip here:

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2007/02/13/vinson-anniversary-climb.html

I'm sure he'll answer your questions though too.

12:37 p.m. on December 15, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,253 forum posts

Gary,

As Alicia points out, my article on Trailspace covers most of my Antarctic experience. I flew into Patriot Hills, the base from which all the Sentinel Range, Last Degree, Shackleton 100, and Hercules Inlet to the Pole treks are accessed, along with some other expeditions. We were flown to Vinson Base on the Branscomb Glacier. No, I have not been to the Pole or crossed the continent, and do not plan to do either, although the Last Degree trek is somewhat interesting (60 nautical miles of hauling a sled across sand-like ice granules).

You might contact Antarctic Logistics and Expeditions about a cook's job, or the National Science Foundation's Polar Division. The USNavy which handles most of the American bases uses their own people, I believe, and generally does not hire civilians. I really have no information on jobs down there for support staff.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply