Grand Canyon is 90 today

3:47 p.m. on February 26, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

http://www.backpacker.com/happy_birthday_grand_canyon/blogs/daily_dirt/1681

Check out the 3 minute aerial video of the canyon at the weblink above.

11:26 p.m. on February 26, 2010 (EST)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

GEE! All that earth washed away in only 90 years? :)

Actually I'll be doing my 2nd backapack in teh Grand Canyon in late April, mostly on the Hermit trail.

It's not an up and down place so much as it's an up OR down place. You're either walking up all day or down all day. (Yeah, there's some days of relatively horizontal walking, like going to Clear Creek from Phantom Ranch.)

Eric

12:04 a.m. on February 27, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

90? I'd a dang shurr thunked it wuz older 'n' thet. Butthen whaddoo Ah know?

Seriously, though, it's an amazing site--and sight. Simply awe-inspiring. Awe-full, even.

3:13 p.m. on February 27, 2010 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

I did a 256 miles hike there in 1999 from the South Bass to the Little Colorado, with side a trip to Clear Creek, Cottonwood Camp and after out the Lipon Point Trail near Desert View. I was in the canyon 28 days. I took four food caches down prior, so all I hade to carry down was gear then one weeks food between each cache.

I spent 20 years from as early as October to as late as April from 1983-2003 hiking in the canyon. my average time in the canyon was two weeks. Some years I would work here in Flagstaff and some at the South Rim between Thanksgiving and New Years and hike before and after.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply